Sub contracting Fert. Apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by StBalor, Apr 1, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, i was reading in these forums a bit ago and seen a few people sub out their fert. apps. I have a few questions on this. How do you go about signing people up for this? You ask the person you plan on subbing work out for their costs for 5,000 , 10,000 and 15,000 sq foot prices per year then add a few bucks so you can make money. Or do you ask that person to drop their price a bit and charge your clients what that sub originally wanted so you can make a few bucks? Now, i am guessing the sub hands you a bill and you pay the sub, then bill your clients. Now, another question is, can i bill my clients for this even if i don't have a pesticide license, and can i advertise fert apps legallly if i am subbing out?
    I am asking these questions because i have never applied pesticides before and i just had a few customers ask if i could. And i just happen to know someone wjo finished with their classes and has recieved their license for this.
    Another thought i had, maybe i could just put this person on payroll a few times a year?
    I know it's a lot of questions and i will probably have more. So give me some answers please.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tell the sub that your have jobs for him to do. Measure the areas that need fert so you know the SQ. FT. and ask what he would charge you to do a 6 tratment plan. Remind him that your dong the selling and you need to pay him when he's finished, so he's not waiting for his $$$$. He should make you a deal where you can add $10 per treatment to the average size 1/4 lot, approx 7500 sq.ft of turf.

3. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Mowers Sub it all the time. If you have the Maint. contract I believe you can Sub Out any part of the Job as long as they carry their own Ins.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

putting him on your payroll means you are paying the insurance, workers comp etc.

we do a lot of sub work. the landscaper gives us the addresses...we go out and measure...quote the price and we're in business.

biggest problem for us is getting these guys to pay us on time...if you expect a quality service from a sub be sure he is paid in a timely fashion.

subbing out the work takes the liability off your shoulders and onto his. you said he is licensed...be sure he is also properly insured. its his problem if he isnt...but it makes you look bad.

i'll also add...respect that he has a business to run as well...not just you. another problem we have is that the landscaper acts like their business is more important than ours (now of course in his mind his business is more important...its the attituded i'm talking about)

5. StBalor

Thanks for the info. Should i measure the yard and tell the fert apps Gal. Or just let her go to my clients and measure for herself?
    Also, what would be a good price OR percentage should i tell her i want from each application?
    Also, if all goes well, can i start advertising i do fert apps, then just sub them to her?

6. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful advertising i dont think its legal unless you have a Lic # to go on your advertising

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

In Mchigan you cannot advertise unless you, yourself are licensed. If you do sub it out, which you can, you have to make it clear to the client, in writing, who is doing the work, that it's not you. This is so if there is a pesticide issue there's no confusion on who the client or dept. of Ag. needs to contact

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i can only answer for myself.
    we dont let others tell us how many sq ft (not that you're dishonest but some are)

we dont let any tell us how much of a 'kick' back they want. we are working as a team here. we keep the lawn healthy and growing, you get to mow steady. we offer 8% off our regular market rate, but only if we get paid within 30 days of service. if payments come in after 30 days we are already beginning to lose $$$ on that service so no discount.

the advertising thing...i'm not sure but i cant see there being a problem. you do not need to have a pesticide license to advertise, you only need a license to apply the products. so my guess would be its fine to advertise the service.(of course you want to be sure you got a rock solid relationship with the applicator other wise you look foolish when you cant deliver the service) your state laws my differ from mine on this. check with your dept of aggriculture

these are my opinions please dont take them wrong. in our end of the green business we service a couple of thousand lawns. the average landscaper we deal with may service 100 or less. So, they ussually end up getting many more referrals from US than we do from them.

so my advice,,,dont ask for a finders fee of any kind. as her business grows you will reap the profits from her referrals to you

good luck

9. StBalor

Thanks, LawnService. Your info was very helpful.