1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sub-contracting for council.....................

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 28, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I'm guna be doing alot of work for my local council.

4 Large roundabouts and surounds (major intersections) 12 acres/multiple locations

2 cemerterys, 22 acers/ multiple locations

Road side mantanece, 20 acers

The big issue is traffic/ Pedestrain and vehicular.

I have to get alot of saftey gear to do these jobs.
  2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you have good reliable employees sounds like alot of work
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you will. You may check your work comp rates also, the highway work may drive it through the roof. Also the state may require you to have rollbars and seatbelts on your mowers/tractors. Good luck, Good money!!!!!
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on my way down to help ya mate, have a coldie waitin'!

Lucky bugger!!

The local mob promised me the same deal here some months back after I got all set up for it, then it all died, their guys do it now, what I can do in 1 day takes them 2, that's the difference between contractors and workers, and running cheap crap gear to running fast productive gear...

Your deal sounds more concrete though, I should of known the local council here was just price checking against their crews....but no way are they cheaper, oh well, win some, lose some eh?

Rig is feuled up ready, I'll leave when the beer is cold:)

Well Alex, I can say this, you deserve a lucky break mate!

5. pinnacle

Hold on there:confused:

I must of hit post by accident :rolleyes:

Yeh............ so I need Alot of saftey gear. Ya know cones, Workmen ahead signs, Mowing in progess, Works finished, Strobe lights for mowers and my Ute (truck) It's a real pain in the a#s but I think this will be a good work.

Have a look at my TCP (traffic control plan) for this roundabout that i'm doing on monday and tell me if I'm missing anything.
    It may look like over kill but this is VERY BIG roundabout/major hiway intersection with lots of semis etc.

Also any thoughts on the ataced "Project risk assement form" would be good.

I have to choose a risk rating 1-6 and apply that rating to a certain hazard and then by ticking the box's in the control measure section I have to bring the rating down to an exceptable level.

And the same thing with an enviromental assesment.

It's all pretty full on stuff.

I just am looking for any experiance with this sorta thing.
  6. pinnacle

7. pinnacle

Ahhh Bugger Its not letting me attach what I want.

One more go and I'll try again latter
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Me toooooooooo...............!

Our council Tenders out every 2 years for the road/parks type stuff. Really big jobs! One crew runs up to 5 guys with trimmers and up to 3 Iseke outfronts.

Be a great job but be sure your not biting off more than you can chew. It wouldnt be down a Murwillumbah or the new highway down there would it. I know what you mean about the semis!:dizzy:

Come to think of it, on one of the roundabouts they do, they replaced the curbing with a gentler sloping bitumen. So they could race up it and get out of the way or traffic I guess.

Good luck with it mate.
  9. pinnacle

Hopfully TCP

tcp.traffic control plan0002.jpg
  10. pinnacle

Tony n Mike,
    I gotta couple of cases with our names on em:D (hope you's like Melbourn Bitter)

Come on down guys there plenty of roadside mainteanece for all!!!

Yeh I'm really happy about this! Its alot'a work but I think I'm guna contract in a few guys with their own insurance (saves me stuffing around with workcover) to help me on this.

Yeh mick the roundabout work is part of the new highway. It's a large distributer (see the highway runs under the bridge in that pic?? All the roundabouts are like this.)

Not bitting of more than I can chew..................Got till Cristmas to get all this done.

The whole project is on going and is RTA funded. So I have permision to close lanes etc put up signs etc.

"Well Alex, I can say this, you deserve a lucky break mate!"

Thanks Tony! I just hope lady luck is on here way up to you too mate!