Sub contracting my lawns?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I go to college 3 hours away from my house and my business someone gave me the advice to Sub Contract to other lawn Service businesses. How do I go about that? Does anyone know of anyone good Around the Pittsburgh PA area that might be interested?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Call some other lco and see if there interested. How many accounts you got?

3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Not all quite sure yet Just sent out direct mail to see if old customers return and I am starting to market this weekend.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

why are you marketing if you are leaving? are you coming home for the growing season?

5. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

you would have to have some kind of contract if you plan on keeping those accounts when you return, otherwise you may just loose them to your sub.

also be sure the "sub" is reliable, and does good work, if he does crappy work, it looks like you do crappy work....

6. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Yes i am coming home for the growing season and home for much of the summer I have to leave in Aug. the end of course. So do you think I would be better of Highering someone to run my business or subing?

7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

We sub contracted for an Lco a couple of days. He didn't show up one week. Now some of his customers are our customers. I think you need an employee that you can trust. Maybe offer an incentive, a bonus or part of the profit.

8. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

What do you think a good Incentive would be Like a bonus at the end of the year and what should I go about paying him? Do you all pay per hour becasue i feel like someone would just take there time then? Do you pay by Lawn? And how much to pay while I am there and While I am gone? and If I am running a 2 man crew should i have him higher help also when I Leave?

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

a percentage of net profit assuming not call backs and you don't lose any customers. I would also make his pay a function of performance since he will be a sub technically he needs to be paid by the job not by the hour.

10. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

where at in the pittsburgh area is it near greensburg i might be interested