Sub Contracting out work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Feb 9, 2004.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you sub out services that you dont do. I am considering trying to build a relationship with a company to handle my fert and pesticide applications as I dont carry a license of my own. Alot of my customer already have a company doing their apps but some of my new accounts are asking if I offer these services and I really dont want to loose the account. thanks

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

For the services I dont do I would refer my client to a pre-qualified contractor. I will tell my client to make sure they tell the contractor he got refered by me. I also get reffered by other contractors all the time.
    Make sure you know the contractor you are subbing to. Know the quality of work he does, does he gaurentee his workmanship, his client relationship, trustworthiness, is he licensed and insured, etc. It can reflect back to you if you reffered him and he does a bad job.

3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I sub out all my fert to a guy I used to work for. He in turn subs all his maintenance work to me. Works out great. There is enough scheduling to do with spring cleanups, mulch, mowing, etc. Not having to worry about the fert and such is great.

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I sub out aeration - I know a guy that is all he does. He is equipped for it, I'm not plus I don't care for doing aeration. He charges me a flat fee, I mark it up and bill the client, paying him direct. Works out well for me.