Sub. contracting out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, May 20, 2004.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Ok I have never done it and would like to know how you guys sub out chemical pray work. Do you have agreements? Do you collect money from it? Where did you find your subcontractors? There are so many and all my clients are complaining about theirs. I know you need to find a good one but how do you know who to trust?

Help in this area would be great. Thanks

Steve

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Any work that I sub out I pay the sub and the customer pays me. I usually make some profit on these.

3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

specialtylc,

Don't the chemical guy have to do the estimate and give you the price so you know what to charge?

Thanks

Steve

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I dont sub out fert & spray work. I do use a sub for parking lot sweeping, sidewalk power washing, large mulch jobs, and replacing large trees. etc. I get the quote from the sub and then add some profit for me.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have learned my lesson from sub-contract work, never again. If they don't do a good job they will drag your name down with them. Just give them the work instead. Also having to deal with insurance and 1099's are not fun

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Been a Builder for over 20 years. Can't imagine not using subs. It's like everything else in life. You need to learn the rules to the game before playing.

It amazes me how some people are afraid of new things, though.

7. 2BladeRunners

2BladeRunners LawnSite Member

I've got a great fert & squirt sub. I quote my jobs by the sq ft so I already know the size of the job, just pass the numbers to Rob and he bills me accordingly. I make sure my customers know they may see a different truck etc.

8. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Hi Turfman,

I do apps up her in MA.
    I work for several landscapers and have for a long while.
    I'd suggest you pick a few of your customers lawns who already have a lawn care service and ask who they use.
    If you like the way things look, call them and introduce yourself.
    I always make a point of asking a new customer who mows for them.
    Then I'll call and introduce myself.
    I'll ask what day they mow so that we never show up on the same day and then ask about how they handle lawn & tree care. (I do both)
    I offer "contractor prices" to landscapers who give me work.
    I bill them and I mark things down a bit so they can make a few bucks off the treatments.
    That works for some. Some others prefer that I direct bill the customer. That works too.

Good luck,

Bob