Sub contracting question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Oct 9, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I have questions about sub-contracting other services out.
    Question.......
    Any one sub out lawn application work? I am just into mowing mainly, but need to sub fertilization work out and wondering about pro's and con's.
    Do you try to find some one who does not mow in fear that they will try to go after your mowing account? Do you make them sign a contract not to mow?
    Thanks for all input.
    Jay*trucewhiteflag*

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I treat lawns and mow. And I DO treat lawns for other mowing guys and landscapers. We have honest relationships and they know and trust that I would never slap them in the face by trying to take a client. If a customer of theirs makes a request I just reply with "Oh, I'm waaaaaay more expensive than them."

That being said, I'm a nice guy and my personal integrity is VERY important to me... and I'm not sure that can be said of all.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Subbing out Pros;
    if you tie up with a guy that ONLY does treatments he can sub out mowing to you.

Cons;
    you are missing out on a high $$$ return.
    YOU miss out on controlling how the lawn grows. (big one because you mow it)
    you may have the lawn taken by a guy who offers treatments.

I am sure there are more but if you have any interest in getting licensed then do it this winter. There is some learning to it but it is not impossible. I am very glad I decided to get into apps as it has greatly helped the bottom line.

4. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want to get into applications, then you should probably risk them taking your clients. Have them deal directly with the client. That way, if they screw up and get sued, you aren't in the middle of it, since the final responsibilty falls back on you.