Sub Contracting Work Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kalyeah, Jul 7, 2004.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Hello guys, been mowing for several years now. Lately I've been turning down a lot of work that I don't do. Tree work, stumps, ferts....etc. Anyways, I'm thinking I need to subcontracting some of this work out. Looking for advise. Do I need to get contractor to sign a no compete contract to make sure they don't move in on my work? What type of percentage should I ask for? Have never done this and don't want to cheat myself. Is there a common percentage for all jobs or does it depend on the job? Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

One more question. If something happens while the contractor is doing work. Who's insurance covers that. I'm assuming it's theirs and not mine.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I contract out tree, excavation, and pesticide work. If you sub this work to contractors that specialize in thier field.. what will they compete with you for?

I try to get 10-15%

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

talk to both an accountant and your insurance agent. They can answer a lot of questions in regards to the forms, taxes, insurance coverage, etc.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

. Do I need to get contractor to sign a no compete contract to make sure they don't move in on my work?

Yes , I would if I were you.

What type of percentage should I ask for?

You dont ask for a percentage , you bid the work and tell the contractor what you will pay for that job .If you are good at bidding you shouldnt have a problem.

Have never done this and don't want to cheat myself. Is there a common percentage for all jobs or does it depend on the job?

That all depends on how good of a salesman you are , You can bid too low and the contractors you sub to wont even do the work at the price you bid, as far as a percentage If I am not making at least 25 % its not worth my time. You are responsible for the quality of the work , collecting payment and paying the sub. If the customer stiffs you you still owe the sub. You will need certificates of insurance and workmans comp from the subs , also naming you as an additional insured.

Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

6. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. That helps out a lot.