Sub Contracting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Just a quick question guys. I am just curious, not any jobs that would be neccesary, but what do you do when you want to subcontract out. Do you call the company, say who you are, what you want to do, then go walk the prop with them to explain job, then get quote from them, then up the price for your work in the matter. I don't know the process, could someone fill me in. Thanks. Just Tryin' to learn.

2. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

We are fortunate to have several companies which we work with on projects. We sub out masonry, irrigation, and lighting. Depending on the project size and the client's wishes, we will either hire them ourselves and then add their charge into our final project cost with a percentage tacked on to cover our time. The other option is to refer the client to the contractor and allow them to work their own deal. This requires more effort form the homeowner but is less expensive for them.

We do meet with the subs and walk the site, often with the homeowners present. We have had good luck doing sub contracting this way. Make sure the subs are reputable and reliable otherwise projects can drag on and no longer be lucrative.

Good luck.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you very much for the response!