Sub-contracting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GStover, Apr 5, 2006.

1. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

I was just approached by another LCO about taking on some of his lawns this season. I won't go into details just yet, because we haven't discussed this in lenght. I will say, however, that he's gotten a contract to do several residential lawns at $50.00 a piece...mow, trim, and blow.

My question is this, what would be a fair percentage on my part if I take on some of these accounts for him. He's a small business, and can't handle all the work he's been getting, and would like to share some of his "good fortune" with me...

Thanks in advance...

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$4o he did the work and got the contracts, And anything more and he can hire an employee and have them done for less than $40

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

You need to know whether you can make a profit on these lawns doing them for less than what your friend would do them. What are your expenses and time and then what do you need to make for a profit?

4. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

In my area, lawns generally range from $25 - $35.00 apiece...granted, these are not "high-end" communities that I service, but those prices are what the market will bear. I was surprised when he had mentioned $50 cuts a few weeks ago, before he knew he had a contract, and I will say again, however, that I've not discussed this with him in detail as of yet...just got a call from him on my cell, and will know more tomorrow.

I was interested in a fair percentage, and I know my costs, tangible and intangible. My schedule isn't full as of yet, although I've gotten some new clients (word of mouth) already this season. If I take this on, I'll also enter into a contract with him to cover my end. If the lawns are in a tight area, and similar to the ones I service now, I was thinking a minimum of $35 apiece...and that would be a minimum. The number of lawns would also come into play as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far...I appreciate it...