Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, May 19, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I've been reading alot of the threads latly about how everyone is doing work so cheap and how it's hard to make any real money in this business and I got an idea. What if I found some good contractors who did nice work and had cheap rates...then I use them for my own accounts (have them sign no-compete clauses and what not) and then keep and percentage of what I charge after paying them? I have college starting next fall so being able to handle everything is really going to be hard. It's hard enough right now as a senior in highschool...i'm curently behind as we speak but got sick last night and can't do anything today! I dunno, it was a though and just wandered what everyone else thought about it. Let me know. Thanks!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sell the mowers, Put all your time and effort to doing well in school and get a good education. In 4 years you will be much farther ahead.
    And you have many less headaches!
  3. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Ok thats a good point, but why do that and have no way of making any money except working somewhere like walmart for $8/hr? I can make many times that amount working on my own for even just a few hours a day. If I have pently of work coming in, why not try and get someone else to do it for me vs. giving it all up? I've worked to achieve what I have now for over 8years now, it's alot harder than one would think just to give it all up. My question is can you pay employees by the job like subs, or do you have to pay them by the hour? My problem is finding someone good who will work to my expectations and not play the "overtime" game. Thanks tho for the input.
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you can gross more. if you were fully legit, you would probably make $8/hr mowing. just find yourself a local white boy to mow them for the $20/hr he thinks hes worth. make sure to pay unemployment, workers comp, insurance on him and youll be a millionaire in no time at all.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That sums it up, you can't make any real money sub-contracting and you'll find yourself hard pressed to find such kind folk who are oh-so-willing to do all your hard work while you do the cake part of the job.

I had someone try that on me a couple of years ago. Snuck up on me, not until I got out there with all my equipment did it slip that this wasn't his house, but his customer! I was like oh-kay, I understand but I went ahead and did the work and got paid. Then the next time come around, he wanted to go pick up the supplies and it's like NO *I* want to get the supplies because that's the easy part of the job and if I have to do the hard part then I get to do the cake part, too! And then it dawned on me that I can't let these folks sub-contract me to do the hard part because while they're getting paid too, they are not only taking money away from me but the money they take is for doing the easy part while I get to play slave.

lol lets put it another way: If it was such a good idea, everybody would be doing it.
    As for the part with money being hard this year, that is good because it will help in the long run thin out the herd, if it takes lean year after lean year, eventually they all run and that's where the big bucks come in but you have to be willing to stick through the thin and the thick of it, or it doesn't work.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

1st thing is you are giving up nothing- You are taking advantage of a higher education.
    If you read a lot of the posts you will see that the hardest part of this business is when you start with employees.
    A solo is easy to run and a large company is easy to staff if one guy gets sick or just quits.
    But if you are trying to be at school -- your business and your employees will run you. You will probily make around 8 per hour if that and you will find yourself going out to put out fires and dropping the ball at school.
    4 years from now you will know what it was that you gave up.

Pushing a mower is not "good" money. It will get you by in life but it will not give as many opertunities as a good education. I know it is hard to think like that now as you are not even 20 years old yet but there will always be mowers to buy and yards to mow. Think hard about what it is your really giving up. Good luck.
  7. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I appreciate all of your advice and tips for my future. I'm going to college and making that my #1 priority (still not sure what I want to do...maybe dentistry and use some of the money I make there to get into real estate like you mentioned in my other thread), but do you think it would be a good idea to keep my business and do work on the weekends and during summers? I would stay solo with an occasional helper when needed and/or subcontractor to help me when/if work piles up. I have a few groups another my area that have aready offered to do this for me and are looking for work. I figure this way, I can keep my business and make good money for only working part time ($750+/week end) but still consentrate on school at the same time during the week without having to worry about work. Then later on, if I still want to do this I can, and if not, I can just move on, or maybe do what you do and have something like it support a real estate interest. What do you think?