Sub Contracting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Jan 3, 2008.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

As I plan for next season I am considering utilizing a sub contractor for a number of residential accounts. Here is my situation: I have never had a problem finding customers, but due to personal scheduling issues I have found expansion to be challenging. In the spring I work 2 days per week and on weekends. The summer is full time, and the fall follows the same schedule as the spring. I watch my 2 young children in the spring and fall, and my wife who is a teacher watches them in the summer months. I cannot handle more than 70 clients per week.

I usually have 1 employee running the route on the days that I am home with my children. This has worked out well, but I am looking to expand my income next year with as little expense as possible. I could go the route of putting a second truck on the road, but I am concerned about expenses. If I decide to sub contract I would continue to service my existing clientele. I would only sub out new customers.
    Has anyone had experience with sub contracting lawn care before? Thanks for any input – Happy Holidays

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you plan on pricing these sub-out customers? Will you quote them and then try to find someone to do it for less? Will you have them quote the job to you and then add a percentage for yourself? You might be better off hiring another employee and having two guys go out on the days you can't.