1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bryan got me thinking, when he said he might plow for one of his friends.<p>Does anyone here use a sub contractor(s)?<p>I just can't understand why anyone would want to work for 50 bucks or so an hour. When you could plow with the same truck and have the same equipment cost, and almost the same insurance cost.<p>What do you guys think?<p>Thats why i kinda warned bryan to keep out of sub contracting.<p>Geoff

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff, Only work i sub out is stacking with a loader.If i know a storm is coming for sure i will rent a skid loader and leave it and the trailer at my bigest job then move it around. But if a storm hits with little warning i have been using the same guy with a backhoe to stack for me. Not sure if this is what you are asking. Nick<br>ps i got my start subing it got me off to a good start<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

In listening from what large snow removal contractors have told me, with out subs they wouldnt be able to grow as large as they have.<br>Some of these subs earn up to and over 30k a season in the lake areas.<br>Most have full time jobs, and are looking for extra work with out the resposibilty of managing a contract.<br>I use 3 subs myself. One does driveways after the storm, and the extra time I give him during the snowstorm is great for him.<br>Another splits his plowing 50/50 between his contracts and mine. i have places that are further away from my main area, so he does them for me, and at times I may cover one of his accounts near me.<br>It is a good way for a new person with a plow to learn the ins and outs of plowing, and how to manage a plowing business. i told bryan in a IM session that subbing for a good contractor is a very good way to learn.<br>Also near me a person who does mostly driveways may only plow 2-3 times a season, but if he subs for a commercial contractor he will get alot more hours.<br>From a contractor stand point they are great to use, they dont beat their trucks as bad as if you have a driver in your own truck. If they break, you dont have to fix it.<br>I have a binder full of agreements with subs, how to word them, and why to use them.<br>In the long run they are much cheaper than owning all your own trucks.<br>And easier than finding drivers for 10 different trucks.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Geoff,<br>We run 4 subs. They work out pretty decent. I wish I could get more good ones.<p>My brother's co. has 22 subs. He makes a killing off them, I wish I could attract as many/as good of ones as he has.

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Try offering your current subs money for bringing in new subs. A few guys I know will pay 200$ per new sub. 100$ when 1/2 way through the season and the other 1/2 at the end of the season. that way they will only refer good subs. Make sure you pay them in a timely fashion, and watch the IRS they love to reclassify subs.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

My partner and I have been talking about this very subject recently. Right now we have three plow trucks, all 3/4 ton 4x4's, two with 7 1/2' snoways and one with a meyers 8' with wings. We can only plow so much with just three pickups. We're considering subbing out some work in order to secure more contracts next winter, also we don't own a bobcat or front end loader for snow removal or for moving and stacking piles of snow when they get too high. We can only push snow around, can't carry it to new locations or remove it from the lots.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,<p>Depending on your sites, I'd have a loader. You can lease one for the winter for 6-8,000 and then mount a ProTech or Daniels.

8. snow

snow Guest

Geoff, when I said sub for one of my friends, what I meant is my town. I know quite a few dpw employees and when I get my licsense, I want to plow for them. There are a lot of small streets with cul-de-sacs in my town that the big trucks have trouble plowing. My town hired my friend, and this year they are hiring guys with pickup trucks. My friend got $110 hr for each truck. If I had a western mpv, I could probably get more because I could get more roads done than someone with a regular plow.<br>Also, I already have commercial and residential accounts lined up if the town job doesn't work out.<p>Bryan

9. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Bryan,<p>$110/hr for a pickup?? Sounds kinda high to me. My area pays $40-50 for an 8ft on a pickup. 10 wheeler with blade/sander gets $105/hr. I have seen as low as $32/hr in some smaller towns for pickups. Average subs are paid about the same as towns. Dino is right, subbing is a good way to get 'seat time' when learning. So is 'street plowing', though the two are a little different. With the right route(smooth roads), this can be easier on equipment...except edges....<p>Dave

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bryan i wasn't trying to be mean. I just didn't want you to get the wrong end of the deal. Plowing for 50 bucks and hour isn't that great, in my mind. Hey if you can plow for the town at 110 an hour go for it. Only plowing private roads is easy on the truck, only you go through a cutting edge a season.<p>Geoff