1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sub out chem apps?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jondcoleman, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I am looking for some advice and opinions on subbing out chemical applications for my residential mowing customers. I am not licensed yet but alot of my customers really want fertilizer and pesticide application. I feel like if I could work out a deal with one of the companies around here I could makes some bucks doing this (too much hassle maybe?). Does anybody sub their chem apps or have you done it in the past? What advice would you have? Thanks.
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I do. I got a thing going with weed man. I get 10% off of the final price, and i can mark it up to whatever i want. Originally i was going to go with someone else, but this guy i just call up, and he goes out and gets me an estimate the next day or two. I put the fert on my bid sheet so it looks like im doing all the work, and it gets my name out there. Instead of them referring the fert guy for fert they refer me and thats another 10% for pretty much no work.

Also in the month of march i will be doing sales for him. He has about 5 door knockers go out and ask if they want fert. I then go to anyone whos interested, after theyve been qualified and sell them the product. The close rate last year for them was 80% and i make 8% commision off each close, averaging about 30 bucks a job, 5-10 appointments a day. I also get so sell my lawn care at these jobs. I have a feeling alot of these people getting fert are going to be looking for lawn care, so its a win win situation for me...

So my advice would be to go for it, call some locals and larger chains. I met with 3 different companies before i found who i would want to work with. Try to find someone thats going to be able to get you quotes quickly, and someone thats reliable and does good work.
  3. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

In Michigan, if I remember right there are stipulations to subbing out chemical apps.

I believe that your business must be licensed in order to advertise or sell the service. You may however sub the service out if you're not licensed, but you must disclose who is actually performing the work, and that they are a subcontractor of yours.

Reason being is liability. If your sub spills a bunch of chemicals on your customers lawn and they think you did it....guess who's liable? Not only are you liable, but you put down chemicals (under your company name) when your company isn't licensed.

I believe you can still do it (in MI) but your customers must be informed of who is doing the apps......you might even have to disclose their contact info too....I know that when YOU are licensed, you have to provide YOUR contact information.

Hope this helps
  4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I sub out 2 of my 6 yearly apps. I use a company that only does fert, and has the same prices I do on my apps. They do the late spring app and early fall app, basically the apps that have to be blanket sprayed, saves me time during the busy seasons of mowing, and I get the referrals from them on everything but fertilizer.