Sub-out or inhouse

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Is it more profitable to sub the fertalizing and weed control or to do it your self? How much do you charge for using about 1/3 of a bag of fert?

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub out all of my fertilizer work. It is very profitable.

3. American_Lawn

Do you add a percentage or does your sub give you a discount? How do you work it out for a profit? if you dont mind explaining.

4. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

We do all of ours inhouse. We have never done 1/3 of a bag. That must be a small lawn.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I add a percentage to what they charge me.

6. American_Lawn

I was just using that for a reference of price. So do you charge a flat fee or by how long it takes and how much you use or lot size?

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

when we used to do commerical maintenance. tru green was dying to get my fert biz, the numbers they quoted me was pretty close to what i could buy my chemicals for, but i never subbed it out, we did it all inhouse...

8. American_Lawn

Did you get you chemicals cheaper or was tru green too high? Where did you get chemicals?

9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

no no tru greens package was cheaper than what i could buy MY chemicals for... they put the stuff down cheaper than i could buy it...

10. American_Lawn

Sorry I misread, so why didnt you go with them? Was your profit for doing it better than subing it out?