Sub out the weed & feed in a bid?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zz4guy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just starting the lawn mowing biz and a business wants a bid on the lawn mowing and a weed control program. He had new grass installed last year so he's concerned about it coming up good w/o weekds or anything.

I have no experience in applying weed control, let alone knowing how much to bid on it.

What should I do here? I would like to mow it and sub out the weed and feed to Scotts or some other local outfit. Is that a practical way to go? How does liability work if the weed/feed place damages the lawn? I'm not looking to make any money on the weed/feed, just make it easier for the customer to pay his bills. Any advice?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Build a relationship with one of your local fert & squirt outfits. It will benefit you both. I do a ton of sub work and really do see the benefits for both sides.
    Get them to give you a number based on the customers specs and expectations, then find out how much they think you should put on top of it. My guys usually put 5-40% depending on how bad they want the job or how much they think they can get away with:hammerhead:

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub it out, You are not responsible for what another co. Does.
    -Jay