Sub-Out

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by American_Lawn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

There is a company here that strictly does organic fert. I am totally new to this concept and I was wondering if this would be a good idea to use them for my customers? Should I just use them until I get the hang of this or just try and do everything myself? Also, what about just subing out my work to them? Is it a better profit to do the total process for a new customer? Any suggestions?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If I were you I would lift my butt out the chair behind the computer screen and go do some research

3. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Bill is right. You can't make a whole lot of money subbing out to another company. Plus if you did sub out and they serviced your customers for a year or so until you "learn the ropes" they are going to build a relationship and it might be difficult to get them back. Take a month or two and learn the basics offer a few simple services then learn from there.

4. American_Lawn

Thanks, I was just getting some input on what you guys thought about it. There are some organic nurserys around here I am going to today.

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the idea of "going green". Organic maintenance is really not hard to learn. I would consider reading a few books and save the sub fees. Mind you, chemicals have a far quicker effect, but we are the artists of our environment and should consider our roles as such. I am not opposed to chemicals (used properly) but would much rather my customer choose an organic program and pay for the extra time and expenses in using it.

6. American_Lawn

Do you provide both services to your customers(chemical and organic)? I could see it being beneficial. Do you use organic as an upsale?