1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sub pesticide and mulching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Feb 10, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Ok fellas hello again. Syzer and i have this apt complex that we can get. Everything looks pretty good except for the fact that im getting ready to go to school for my pesticide courses so i can apply but this commercial account requires pest. apps in the spring and fall. The other issue is it requires about 500 pansies and mulching in spring and fall. I dont have my home improvement Lis. (which i think you need to plant flowers and do mulch) and i dont have my pest. Liscence yet either. I really would like to get this account, what would you do? Will this be easy to sub out? meaning the pest and annual and mulching? I would like it all but i need to get the proper Liscencing first.

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it is hard to get subs if they are doing business like you. You do not really want them on YOUR jobs where they could end up with the account later.

For my lawn apps, I use to use Chemlawn as well as another company that did not mow or trim shrubs or do other ground care services.

I would use a garden shop or landscaper for the mulching and flowers. Try a local High School that might have a Horticulture program in a career center.

You have to have a License for MULCH and planting flowers?
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Becareful using Chemlawn. I subbed a large community open area out to them last year. I had to check their work after each app. 5 out of 6 were done wrong. The areas that they did do right looked good.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would strongly advise against Tru-Green ChemLawn. I would however recommend, that you check into some of the other national companies that you may have in your area. They should be willing to sign a non-compete agreement, and will provide your clients with better results.

You could look for such companies as Lawn-Medic, Natura-Lawn(sp).

Hope this helps.
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I too should have stated NOT to use Tru-green Chem-lawn. I used them for lack of a better service until I got my license. I had properties that had weeds for two years until I sprayed and killed them myself.

If they would have done a good job, I would have continued to use them so I would not have to mess with it. But they missed spots, fertilized when I told them NOT to, missed weeds 2nd and 3rd time after coming out after missing them the 1st time. I was lied too regularly by my rep and I finally had it.

The problem was the tech's. Tru-Green could not get anyone with a license, so they just sent out tech's to put down granular fertilizer all the time. Then when you would complain they would send out their guy that could spray and he would just plain miss the entire area that needed the app.
  6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

pass this one up ,wait till you are legal to do the work.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub out my weed control because I am not yet licensed. Down here you must have 3 yrs. in lawn and or landscape business to take the test. I am short about one year. There is some talk that it will drop to one year. I used to spray until I got stopped one day with a backpack sprayer on my trailer. I hate to have someone else do what I could do myself. We all know that no one will ever do as good a job as you, because it's just another job to them, but to you it's your butt on the line.
  8. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Be careful about using Tru-Green/ChemLawn, I was reading an article about the fact that they are getting back into the mowing/landscaping end of the business by buying up small local contractors and/or just or absorbing the business from the "sub"ing out.
  9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys that subbed out the app. work, did you do the billing for it or let the sub bill seperately?
  10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I always do the billing and have the sub bill me. Also I usually add some on for me! I think it's a good idea to have as little communication between the sub and MY client as possible.