sub price??????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CBRANDT1, Mar 8, 2008.

1. CBRANDT1

CBRANDT1 LawnSite Member

my buddy is doing a job and wants to sub me and my new holland L170 skid as well as my kubota b 21 how much for each per day i usually do my own jobs so i dont know how much to charge him.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

How many hours will you put on your machines in a day?

I have a deal worked out around 450 too 500 a day with a couple contractors.
    I usually only put about 4 to 6 hours a day on the equipment.
    It works for me well.

3. CBRANDT1

CBRANDT1 LawnSite Member

about 8-10hrs per day

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Then $ 500-600 per day would be reasonable, to me !!

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

If you are going too put 8 to 10 hours machine time then I would need closer too 600 dollars a day.
    Thats alot of machine time.
    It also would depend on what I was doing as well.

6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually do it by the hour and charge $5.00 less an hour. It doesn't make my friends rich but it still makes them money and I do all the work and they are putting all the responsibility on me and my quality work is helping their reputation and not mine so I don't feel bad.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I guess it would depend on what you are doing? For an s300 I charge a $680/day for daily work for low flow attachments or grappling debris or general daily rate clearing. If I run high flow attachments, it's quite a bit more. I guess it would depend on how much you are doing.

8. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

What's the job scope and requirements? Just moving dirt for foundation work or are you responsible for grade accuracy?

If you're just required to get down to some point for small grade work and moving dirt for it that's one thing. If you're cutting down to a base point and lots of stuff goes above you then its another. That sounds confusing but here's an example. Say you are just digging the trenches for a poured wall foundation-being off a little in terms of overdig is not too bad with regard to cost and liability.

Now let's say you are responsible for being on grade for a poured concrete pad or road grade with an area of in excess of 5K square feet. Every 1/8-1/4" you're off means money somewhere for someone on a lump sum bid. That's where liability and covering your anticipated costs versus exposure comes in-its tough to do that with an hourly. However, I doubt that's the scenario here but you never know. Its your friend and I hope a back charge is not an option. I've seen situations where a sub overcut and had to backfill at his cost to bring it back to required. You lose your *ss on that since no one will pay the hourly to bring it back in.

Its worse if you need compaction. :cry:

9. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

double post.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I try to run the 440 on all by the hour type jobs. The rate is $70.00 an hour with a two hour min. depending on travel time. The machine is powerful and productive but easy on fuel.

My 465 is $75.00 an hour but the machine moves too much material and uses too much fuel to use it by the hour. It works itself right out of work, but she is thirsty. It kicks ass on bid jobs because nothing can touch it for moving or excavating material. I bid jobs for what it would take a normal machine knowing that my competetion cant touch my productivity. I bring in the 465 and cut the time that I bid in half. Works like a champ.