Subaru 13.5 motor won't cold start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by selaeration, Mar 31, 2010.

1. selaeration

selaeration LawnSite Member

I bought the ride on lawn solutions aerator with the Subaru 13.5 motor and I hate it. Won't start cold. Today 41 degrees and won't even pop. I have lawns to aerate and can't get this machine started. I called LS and they said they had put too small a battery in it and to try pull starting it. That does not work either. Anybody have a suggestion? Even starting fluid won't get it going. The machine has 17 hours on it.

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

might be flooded,take the plug out and dry it off then check for spark while its out. If you have spark try it again. If it dont work i would be taking it back asap.

3. selaeration

Thanks I took the plug out have a great spark.

4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

well i would be at the place when they open { where you bought it } and they would either find the problem right away and fix it or refund my money no ifs ands or buttS!!!!!!!

5. selaeration

I bought it directly from LS in Louisville and I am in ohio

6. selaeration

Gas is fresh, switch is on, battery good, spark good, oil full, what am I missing?

7. selaeration

Looks like the LS guys were right. I hooked the 50amp kick start charger up to the battery in the aerator and it started. Looks like I'll have to buy a bigger battery for this unit than the one that comes stock---only 275 CCA.
    Looks like I only will lose about $150.00 on this today. Frustrating!:mad:

8. selaeration

LS called me this morning and said that I need to turn down the hydro pressure every time I start the machine. I have not been doing this so this appears to have been my fault from ignorance. Sorry LS:hammerhead:

Anyway, I am glad I bought this aerator. I have 3 plugr aerators I have used for years and they are good but this thing is so much faster. I also am not BEAT at the end of the day.

One Suggestion---I'd like to see a parking brake on it to help keep it stable on the trailer.

9. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

We are working on one for traileriing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

What grade of oil do you have in it ? Straight 30 makes for harder cold starts, due to thickness of oil. Multi weight oil is better in cold starting situations. My Snow Blowers and cold weather equip. get 5W-30, my mowers and warm season equip get straight 30.