subbed my first job today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 3, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today, i subbed out my first jobs. i had a company in the area call me and ask if i had any work i needed help with(we have shared work in the past, mostly mine). i told him i was swamped, and had a couple of jobs i could"let go". hes doing two for me tommorow, at about 60% of what im getting for them. how sweet it is, money for nothing. i think i like this sub stuff

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

you haven't seen the results yet.

let us know once "they hatch";)

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

bobby hope your subout help works out well, maybe you should do a driveby to checkout that free income. Marks Mowing Service

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point Mark...this way there shouldn't be any "surprises"!

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bobby--how sweet it woudda been if you'd subbed the jobs out to these guys instead of getting mad over your competition not loaning you their equipment.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=37140

let us know how sweet it is if you still have those jobs next year after they offer their service to your customers for about 60% of what your former customer paid you.

GEO

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so, am i to understand, subbing is not good? hmmm, could have sworn ive seen hundreds of times, that if u cant do it, sub it out. if they go and offer the service, for 60% in the future, then they get no more work from me. very simple, isnt it? if they do what they are supposed to, dont play games, then we establish a relationship. they can have plenty of work, and we can all be happy. they have no work for a few reasons: they have poor salesmanship skills, dont know how to advertise properly, have very few teeth, etc... now this is called being at the bottom of the food chain, its a natural proccess. the smarter, more dominent specimans eat the steak, and the "lesser" folk eat the fat and bones. its part of life. u see, we all have our own idea of what decent money is. i would not break my butt to earn $200 a day, but some people, who have less "earning potential", think 2 bills is good dough, so we all "profit" from the experience. well, i would love to go on and on, but i need to go play with my new red max. have a nice day

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby - After all, servicing customers and making a profit is what it's all about. Subbing can allow for both. Hopefully your subs know better than to steal your customers. You could spend a little time touching up their work if it doesn't meet your standards and still make a profit. Wish I had guys I could sub to, problem is they're all too busy sevicing their own customers.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So now you are telling us YOU are at the TOP of the food chain? Well good for you dude. But I dont understand how someone that now claims to be at the TOP can cry so much about not getting to borrow a blower. If your on the top you would have just gone and got the new one.......guess your not as far up as you think huh???

And please remember something else, "earning potential" has nothing to do with "PROFITS". Oh well if you had known that then you wouldnt be having to ask to BORROW a blower then?

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bobby--I wouldn't know whether subbing is good for you or not. but I am sure that it isn't good for me!

it seems to me, however, that once these guys get enough business from you by subbing, then it's to their benifit to say "thanks for the customers", and cut you loose. and as you say, everyone is happy except possibly you. and the customer is the one that gets the price break.

but since you have now explained what kind of guys you are sending to do your sub work ("they have poor salesmanship skills, ...have very few teeth, ...the "lesser" folk" ) I am doubtful that this will be a long term relationship.

this is IMHO! good luck! hey! nothing ventured, nothing gained...right? keep us informed as to how it's going!

GEO

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I hope this works out for you and not just your customers. I can see this turning out very badly if the subcontractors is shall we say underhanded. Once the job is completed all they have to do is talk with the customer and tell them something to the effect of "why stay with Bobby who takes on more jobs then he can handle when you can just go with us?" Of course they will just raise their rates up to where yours currently are and gain a new customer.

Wish you the best,
    Gravely_Man