subbed some work out to a tree guy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobbygedd, May 3, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had to trim a large cherry tree. cut it back about 4-5 ft, away from the house, and all the way up. i aint into being that high up in the air, so i called a guy that one of my clients reccomended. i brought him to the property, he gave me a price. i said ok. he said he'd get to it today, cus his crew was working close by. i said, "great, thanks alot, here is my adress, when you're done, just send a bill, i'll get a check out to you within 30 days." guess what he said

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

He told you to screw ...

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

No...................cummon, don't leave us hangin!

4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Think, BG.
    Think very hard.

5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

payment in advance.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sign my 50 page contract first.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are too funny but this is one where bg is going to huhuhu maybe fool us all with some total off-the-wall answer because one thing's for sure bg, I myself would've told you to kiss it even if I knew who you are.

I bet he said: You ain't my boss, ole boy.
    Or did he say: Gee BG thank you for allowing me the awesome opportunity of being your slave, I look forward to working for the great master and hope for only a tiny share of your profit, really I'll gladly work for free just to make sure you can collect your percentage of the referral because I am certain the education will be well worth it.

ok lets hear it lol

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, let me ask you, SHOULD he have billed me? if no, why not? you guys always say, you send a bill. no need to demand payment up front, or, expect the client to take the day off from work, to be there. well, in this case, i am the client.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, your customer is the client.
    It's their yard, their tree.

If you could've done the work (assume), you would've billed them.
    So whoever does the work bills them.

Now if you don't want to refer them to someone else because you feel it is your customer and you're not in the mood to share for free, that is your choice. But once you refer them to whoever, that person collects the check direct from your customer, your job is done, you're not dealing with the tree, they are.
    /////////
    sorry to get on you there earlier, but it was just too hard not to

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i tell my customers and the occasional midget... if they cant be there to write a check... a credit card right now would do.