SUBBIN' YARDS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Feb 11, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I just had one of them epiffany thangs, one o' dem head scratchers. Since last summer up til now I have been passing off yards that I didn't want cause I really have all that I can handle. I have been giving these things away! Well, the epiffany thang is this...........duh........why not bid on these yards, get them, and then rather than give them to someone else-----------sub the darn things out and keep a percentage.

How many of ya'll do this? If so , how has it worked out? I lknow---------------I'm slow, I always thought that if I helped others out they would in turn help me at some point, but I am missing out on the real potential of subbing work, getting a share, and still helping someone else grow their business.

Some thoughts from those that are a little faster than ol' Homer.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If a sub screws you over you would still be on the hook to mow these yards so be prepared, if you go this route...if its not gravy for you it wont be a picnic for the sub either, and he will soon figure it out.

3. HOMER

SO TRUE!

I wouldn't sub out something I didn't want to do myself for that reason. I wouldn't want to get stuck trying to stick somebody!

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

HOMER
    Alot of companies in our area will help keep unwanted competition out of an area by referring their friends to potential clients. The going rate for accepting such work is $25. It seems like a small price to pay, but compared to some of the "commercial cutters" out there, its a STEAL. You grease my palm and I'll grease yours.

Just a thought.
    Kris

5. HOMER

The going rate for accepting such work is $25.00???????

Splain that a little slower.:confused:

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I sub anywhere from 15-30 lawns from a friends overflow .Last year I did 15 lawns for him. He has them priced well. Some are what I'd call clikers but are good price . Others are nice and priced good as well. He pays me 90% he takes 10% and does the billing and pays the sales tax. Last season these totaled almost 11k . His accountant sends me a 1099 and files one with my friends taxes. I have done this for 4 years now. He trusts me and vica versa. Mutual trust is the key to this arrangement.I would like do others overflow as new lawns are hard to find here .

7. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I had another landscaper for the last 5 years sub lawns to me. It started out with 25 then a couple years later we did all 45 of his lawns. The pay was good and they all fit in our route or he dumped them. Last year we stopped doing his until the guy that had been doing them was screwing him on quality. We took over the apartment complex and assisted living place to save him and someone else took the rest. It can be a good arrangement if you can make it a win-win situation.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A friend of mine subbed some of his lawns out to me for a few months because he didn't have the time to do them. The three lawns totaled $190 per cut. He was still making around $30 on the deal. At the time he was using a garden tractor to cut them. He just bought a used ZTR.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

HOMER
    We dont sub out (at least I dont know of anyone yet) who does this. What I was trying to suggest was selling the bid. If Mrs. Jones calls and says "Homey, I think you have done a wonderful job across the street for Mrs. Smith, and i would like you to do mine as well." you could recommend a friend to do the work. If you call him and he gets the job from her, he would give you $25 for the referral.

Hope thats a little clearer. I know you must have thought that I had lost my mind cutting a whole season for $25.

Kris

10. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Good idea Kris. I would just worry about quality and the potential effects on your reputation, but it seems to be working for some.