Subbing an organic fert application in CT

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gobbles2700, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a large bid that I'm in the process of completing. Its for a municipal complex and requires a single Spring app of a certified organic fertilizer. The site is 560,000 sq ft of turf and is fairly open. I figured roughly 24 bags or $1100 worth of Sustain (the most readily available product i have found in my area) would be needed, I want to know what I should anticipate for price subbing it out. If I get the contract it will be for four years so I can extend the same to whomever i sub this too, professionalism is of the utmost importance as this site is extremely visible and in a posted enviromentally sensitive area. I can provide more details if needed but I just want to know within say a hundred dollars what i should be putting for that line item. Thanks in advance

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

where is this site? Are you licensed? Why do they only want one application?

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

24 bags seems really low to me for all organic

4. gobbles2700

SE CT
    I am not a licensed applicator, thats why I am going to subbing it out. The bid specs call out for only one spring time application.

5. gobbles2700

I screwed up I posted the wrong fertilizer #s its 63 bags @ 9000 sqft and 5.5 lbs per 1000 sqft. The fertilizer alone is $3200. Sorry about that.

6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in that. Would you be able to email me the specs?

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I've never heard of Sustain, but 24 bags sure deosn't sound like it's near enough for any organic I've ever heard of. Typically, a 50 lb bag will cover 5k. So, you are looking at 112 bags or so. Even some of the 50% organics only cover 5k per 50lbs.

Secondly, isn't NY like Connecticut? If the material is not a pre emergent material, it's just fertilizer and should not require a company to be licensed for pesticides or have to be applied by a certified applicator. You could do it yourself, without a sub.

Considering how much you will need, like 5,700 lbs, I don't think you are limited to what is available locally. Shop around and have it shipped in directly. I've been looking at this stuff, but don't know how it's priced yet, but I like the composition of it, and it's certified.

http://www.agriorganics.com/products/seasons.html

They are based in Canada, and may not be set up to distribute in the US, but for a shipment that large, I'm sure it's easilly doable. Just get a quote including delivery.

I would also do my best to find a very good organic, and sell that material's benefits... no human waste, etc. The cheap stuff is usually processed sewage. They tried to sell that to us in NY. Then they said just cart it away. Still no takers. Then they said they would deliver it for free. Still no one wanted the stuff.

PS: Was typing when you logged your last post

8. gobbles2700

You'll notice the first or second poster caught my mistake, I posted the numbers for a different product and a different job. I think you can apply an organic product with out a license but it is an enviromentally sensitive area and I don't want to do it with a push spreader. I would rather someone come in with the right equipment and know the spreader is calibrated right. Plus I'll busy enough if I get this and the couple of other bids I'm going after.

9. gobbles2700

I just emailed them, this stuff is really interesting it fully meets the bid requirements, all the other stuff I can find has at least something in it thats synthetic and therefore questionable as far as the bid.
    I just really need to get an idea for what the market rate is for applying this stuff, since I've stayed away from apps, due to licensing, I have no idea how the pricing is structured.

Material% + Labor% = Sub's price + markup = My Bid price

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Gobbles... good luck. That's about all I have to offer, I don't do properties of that size, don't have the equipment or experience to offer any advice on that job.... but I'm sure others will. I do like the makeup of this Agra-International material. No manure, good organic content, certified.... and a better balance of NPK than most organics.

I think even if it's more expensive, offering a material that is better while catering to the tree huggers as a superior fertilizer could help your bid. I would bid this stuff, whatever it costs, and a cheaper lower quality material at two obviously different prices. If they are as "sensitive" as you say, they might go with a "safer" material than anything with composted manure in it.