subbing hardscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Jacey, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

I have a job coming up that will require extensive rockwork that I am having to sub out. Is there a rule of thumb at mark up of the subcontractors work or do I simply add my time and energy involved at my going hourly rate? This is a semi rural central Texas bid...with that in mind...thanx!!

2. HARDSCAPER68

HARDSCAPER68 LawnSite Member

I've used subs and worked as a sub, I prefer a % of the base , that way You
    don't outbid yourself and keeps you sub more than willing to work again. also keep in mind it does require some Babysitting esp. w/ a new sub ( I micro manage) make sure he has insurance, and that this customer is YOURS,
    meaning all upgrades you get a % of , also from all referrals (neighbors etc.)
    from job are yours at a smaller % remember you have worked hard to establish your business, ads are $$$ to get work ,don't just give your work away and last but not least a contract just like you signed for the job and always handle the money, I could tell horror stories about this

3. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

Thanx for that response!!:confused: Bigtime..but what % is appropriate, I micromanage like crazy too..to the point I actually found the guy that has done all the rockwork in the area so that it will be compatible...have to admit..that part was divine intervention..I am in central TX but maybe its not that different???

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If your a grass guy i wouldn't try to sub pavers. I can just see that one coming back to bite you. I mean, if you can't install them, how are you going to sell them?

I mean, if i was suzy homeowner and i hired xyz to install a walkway, and Joes Paving Plus comes out and does it instead, i'd be pissed,

Thats just me. Now if were talking a large project then its a different story. I'm working on a estimate right now, that consisits of 10k worth of brick work that i would sub out.

But, i am doing the excavating, pouring the footing, and buying all materials. The mason just has to come and lay block and brick. While hes doing that i'll be laying pavers.

Jacey, i am not directing all of this at you. I just get a kick out of the lawns guys who make post here about subbing out hardscaping.

BTW i try to mark up sub work around 10-15%

5. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

Heyheyhey..by the way..you may call me Miss Jacey..I have a landscape business..am a total artist..and I am doing a waterfall for these people that tell me after seeing the one on my place..that no one else can touch that part..That being said..I am not a lawn guy..don't touch lawns except to revive them on occassion. The rockwork is native flagstone not pavers..The percentage sounds perfect..Thanx for being there..JC

6. HARDSCAPER68

HARDSCAPER68 LawnSite Member

Rusk I'm strictly hardscape same as it ever was, I pay a lawncare co
    to do my home, I was just trying to offer some insight not trying to make
    waves

7. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

Do you go by Rusk? Do you think I am in the wrong forum? I totally appreciate your input..Please don't take me wrong. I just am not a lawn guy..although I know what you mean about them. You didn't make waves..and I didn't want to make waves either...Just wanted to clarify the situation some..jc

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had a contractor call me and talked to me about doing hardscaping for him. He wants to supply the jobs and the materials but wants me to do the work. Ive never done this kinda thing before for a contractor so im kinda stuck on what to charge him. He says he has a lot of jobs for me to do is the price is right. Any advice on what I should be charging? Should it be by the hour or by the job? Any advice is appreciated

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Jacey, Notice i said i was not directing it toward you. I have no idea what your company does. I was directing it towards alot of the post that were on here recently about subbing hardscaping.

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Miss Jacey, I think what you are doing is the right thing, stick to what you know and manage the rest through subs. When subbing a job, a markup of 10% is likely average. You want to make sure you are compensated for your management time and follow up. Hopefully you will make enough money on the design and installations you are handling to be able to provide this additional service to your client and make some money for your time and effort.

Kirk