1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Subbing out work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

A lady called me yesterday for what I thought was a quote on her yard and ended up asking me to install beds, pavers, build a deck, etc... Some of this work i can do, other, like the masonry, I cannot.

Should I just tell her that i cant do it, or try to find a mason or, GASP, another lco that does this type of work. Is it reasonable to sub out work or am i better off letting it go?
  2. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of that depends on if you have the time to deal with it. If you do have the time, you may want to do what you can do and coordinate the other work with other contractors. Getting prices for the jobs from them and giving your customer a all inclusive proposal. It can work BUT you have to rely on their quality, promptness and be the overall person responsible for the work. You gotta make that worth your while. If you don't have the time and or don't want to deal with all of that than do what you can and give them referrals (if you can) to what you do not do. Have done it both ways and it really depends on how much time you can dedicate to it.
  3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Don't be shy to talk to other lawn and landscape pro's. If you think they do quality work, ask what kind of referral or commision you'd get from them if recommended. We have lots of guys paying us 10% just for referring them. Anything we can't or don't want to handle is usually just a phone call away from someone that can.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

When you sub out work, and you ask the other contractor to give you a bid on it, how do you know he won't go behind your back and just get it straight from your customer? Or do you know, you just hope he won't?
  5. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

That was my concern. How do you keep the sub from going around you. They even need to take the appearance of working for you if its going to work.

I was thinking a contract but then the threat of a full out brawl is probablt the norm. lol