Subcontract Aeration?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jeffinsgf, Nov 12, 2006.

1. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really want to jump into the lawn care business -- I've got a good job that keeps me plenty busy. But, I have purchased very good, professional equipment to take care of my own property. I really like working on lawns and seeing the results. Is it heard of in the industry for LCO's to subcontract work like aeration and topdressing? I am thinking about contacting some of the better mowing companies in my area and seeing if they are interested in offering this service to their customers. My time is pretty flexible, so scheduling shouldn't be too large a hassle.

Anyone else doing this? Anyone in the Springfield MO metro area interested in discussing it? I have a Turfco 42" three point hitch aerator behind a JD 455 garden tractor and a Turfco Mete-R-Matic topdresser. I'd like to be lined up to spend a few weeks in March and April banking a little extra dough, enjoying the Spring, and making both some LCO owners and their customers happy.
  2. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Well yes it is possible but what about insurance? are u going to carry biz ins for that small amount? If not then quite frankly NO. This is a biz for most all of here this IS how we make our money. sorry but become legit or stay out of it. Just my$.02 worth.
  3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Well, that's why I'm not planning on printing plastic signs to stick on street corners. The point of subcontracting is to allow a legitimate LCO to offer a service they're not currently providing without the equipment investment or the people to run it.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is exactly right. All my subcontractors are required to carry at min 1mil liability. Thus this is the expense of the sub contractor not one that uses the sub.
    If you are not going to carry insurance you are just an employee at which the contractor is paying an hourly rate. Most I know will not work this way as it costs more and is more of a headache than what it is worth.
  5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. I' make sure all my subcont. carry ins. I also use a 1099 so that they pay taxes as well. For me no ido not have an aerator or every piece of equipment. I rent the extra pieces and plan on doing these services when other etra services are low. Example (this is for thoses just starting out or wondering how to get it all done) Mow is pretty much continual, Other services go from spring clean up to mulching to pruning to bed overhaul, to seedings and aeration and to fall clean up. If you do it right it just flows almost like mowing.
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Give me a call and I will tell you how to make money with your equipment

my office 402-783-2028