Subcontracting Chemical applications

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Something D, May 26, 2005.

1. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

As of right now I am not licensed to spread chemicals or pesticides on lawns. How many of you all subcontract that out to Lawndoctor or TruGreen Chem lawn. Do work directly with that company or do you tell the customer to call and set that up them selves?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

do a search on here for the thoughts of most of us on the quality of Tru Green's services.

My suggestion is to get a contact with a local guy who will to those services for you and refer clients to you as well.

Avoid the national chains like the plague they are.

3. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you should thinj about sticking your ***** in a bear trap before you hire tru-green. Find a local weed and feed guy. You will get better results and a cheaper price.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It may not be cheaper but you get a more qualified representative to deal with.

5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I use a local company and it has worked fine. They do the work and I bill the customer for the service performed.

I first started the relationship buying mulch from them. They have also sent me many new customers because they do no lawn maintainance. :D :D

6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we subcontract a majority of our applications to two companies. one is local to our state, the other works in a few states. we maxed out our local guy and the regional guy was looking to expand to our area. both perform excellent work. you mentioned whether referring or subbing the work. If they are your sub you maintain control of the job. referring and you get no revenue and no control over the app. not to good.

in the past we had chemlawn, and more recently scotts. their performance and response to "complaints" was horrible so they didnt last long.

we consider our subs our partners and strive to grow both our businesses. it doesnt make sense for our company to have inhouse applicators since the height of spraying is also the height of spring cleanups, mulching etc, or late season pruning. also the added spray equipment and trucks etc. makes it an easy decision to hire subs for this specialized service in our region.

7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Try to get your own license so you can control how much nitrogen is being put down and since you are on the property every week you can see potential problems and take care of them before the customer even knows something is wrong. You are the most qualified person on that yard to know what has to be done so stay away from subcontactors,they sell fertilizer and lots of it,more telemarketers than lawn care people.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are your customers asking for fertilizing and weed control? As stated the national firms are great at marketing but you are already past that part if your customers are asking. I didn't get my license until I was in lawn care for 5 years. I got tired of mowing N bombed lawns and I also knew I could do it better. I have 50 fert customers and more for weed control in the spring totaling over 13 acres of applications.
    If you have the chance to get your cert/license then do it. It is a great way to become more valueable to your customer and in return it pays quite well.

If you are not interested then call some local guys that you see in your neighborhood and talk with them. Some may only do fert and no mowing. You can reach an agreement where he referrs you to mow and you leave the fert to him. Lots of potential there. Good Luck.

9. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I definitely want to add this to my services and plan to later this fall. Due to my schedule and the fact the exam is in Nashville, TN which is 4 hours away one way I will have to wait until the fall. I have customers thinking about it but I know all I would have to do is put on my sales hat. I have great customer relationships with all my folks. The reason I am asking about subcontracting is I have one customer in a very nice neighborhood where the grass is perfect except in the middle of the front yard I don't know the weed but it is spreading like the plague and it will take over the yard.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

you could round up, cut out and re seed or resod. And worry about the app liscence in the fall.

Or just cut out and replace.