1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Subcontracting Fertilization Job

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Infinite, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I have a guy I cut for that wants his grass aerated and fertilized. I know companies that do this type of work, but the question is how to I go about subcontracting the work out?
  2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Find a small high quality business that fertilziers and treats fo rweeds only and form a relationship with them. It will serve you well.

3. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

How do I go about subcontracting a job to them though? Do I call them and just ask them if they'd like a job contracted out to them and they come up with the paperwork or what?
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Typically, for a subcontracting job - you being the contractor, you set the specifications and the subcontractor comes up with a price for those specifications.
    Usually you can do something like this:
    -Joe Tentpeg's property is 1 acre in size, turf is whatever, and it needs this type of fertilizer with the ratio mentioned in the soil analysis (you did submit soil for analysis, right?)
    -Joe wants his property fertilized by such and such date
    -Fert subcontractor has to come up with the fert matching the soil analysis, provide the service, and has to clean up after himself. Meaning no empty bags lying around, no fertilizer prills on sidewalks/drives, front curbs, etc..
    -Also fert subcontractor has to provide for your records a copy of any applicable licenses and insurances as well as indemnifying you, the contractor, from any liability due to the sub contractors' actions.
    This may sound complicated but in reality it really isn't.
    About the only hard part for you, the contractor, is determining how much to add on to the subcontractors bill for you to arrange his service.
    A decent rule of thumb is 15% below $200.00, 12% up to $500.00, and 10% beyond $600.00
    I sub large area fertilization, spraying and mowing for the largest landscape company in my part of Texas all of the time. I make a good bit of money, they (the company) really like my services, and the customer is impressed with the level of service.
    I mention this to let you know that with the right relationship between contractor and sub, everyone can be happy and money can be made for all.
  5. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Do you happen to have an example of a form you use to subcontract you jobs? Thanks for the info!