1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Subcontracting with others???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Martee, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Is it a good idea to do sub contract work with other LCOs wanting to get started on my own but this seems like a easy way to get going? What do you all think of this and how much would you discount to them? Any thoughts out there!
  2. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Anyone? Need your advise here please!
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I've done subcontract work before...mainly for general contractors. Never for a LCO. It is good for business...at least for mine. I also sub contract out work...specifically pest applications.
  4. curtislawncare

curtislawncare LawnSite Member

This is a good topic and I hope some of the more experienced guys chime in.

We are always being asked for referals for sand spreading, gardeners, trash hauling, patio builders, fence installers . . . We've taken on a few of these jobs but it would be more effecient if we could just sub 'em out for a commission.

Lawncare is a good position to be in because unlike most other residential services lawncare people visit the property recurringly and build a relationship with the property owners. This presents a good opportunity to offer and sell other services and even products.
  5. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I've sub'd work out my first year and have others sub me out. It works out well as far as being able to get jobs done efficiently
    and get on to the next. Then if it gets slow for me I call the other LCO's and can fill in a day or two for them. 10-15 % should be the range depending how much time you must put in for setting things up. Good Luck! and remember what goes around comes around.
  6. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I have had a few other Lawn maintenance companies give me referrals but none for subcontracting yet. But they say there is plenty of work and will help me get this started as they usually have more than they can keep up with as soon as weather permits.
    I have had a couple tell me they would rather sub out work than hire an employee. I thought that was a good idea as I have all the equipment and experience, might as well let me do the work and they still make money.payup
    I understand this doesn't always work as you may have someone try and take your customers from you or not do quality work. But that not what I would do, I want to make friends not enemys.
  7. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly what you do...make friends not enemies:)

Lance is right what comes around goes around.

We are a small solo LCO in our third year. If it wasn't for the sub-contract work we get every year we wouldn't have made it this far.

We treat their customers like we would our own, have enough respect and appreciation not to compete *steal customers*, and they don't mind that we continue to grow our own.

Because of the good contacts we have made we were able to buy a permagreen that only needed minor repairs for $100.00. One heck of a bargain that paid for itself today with sub-contract work from the same guy who sold it to us :cool2:

Busy is good.
  8. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I sub'd for another LCO in town last season and will again this season too. It worked well for both parties. The accounts were close to home for me and filled in my route nicely while freeing his route up so he could take care of landscaping jobs
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer