1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Watkinslawnservice, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I blew a good portion of my advertising budget on having 6,900 flyers professionaly designed, printed and distributed in 2 newspapers. It got me 2 spring clean-ups and 1 yes count them, 1 weekly mowing job.

I saw an ad in the paper today for a large LCO wanting to hire subcontractors. I am considering giving this outfit a call to see if I can just pick up 1 or 2 days worth of work.

Is it worth it to sub yourself and your equipment out? What is the going rate for subs? Seems to me that it is hard enough to make money if you get your own accounts with out adding another middleman.

This puts me down in the dumps just thinking about doing this but I need this equipment to be in use, making money, not just sitting in my garage.

What do you guys think?

Dave :waving:
  2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

We sub for a larger company...60 lawns plus. In the end, just make sure you are making what you want to make. If the LCO likes your price then no problem. The company we sub for is in the higher price bracket so we have more room to work with on what we charge.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to have a lot of free time (which I don't) before I would consider it.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub for some, others sub for me. It all depends on what area of town the property is in. For us, we ask the sub what they want to charge, we mark it up and we both win.
  5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I work the same as Mac, Usually on a sub job I will meet w/ customer to get info, then I will meet w/ sub and show pictures and measurements. They give me their price, I mark it up, and we both get paid. I don't do sub work on lawn mowing, mostly just skid steer work.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I do some sub work for a local mowing company. He subs all of his fert/squirt needs to me because I am licensed and he is not. Subbed accounts count for 29% of my current business. So it can help bring in some extra income until you get moving. Once I get established I won't likely do sub work any longer. It can take awhile to get paid.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Watkinslawnservice,

Don't let yourself get down. You are thinking positive by finding other avenues. It can't hurt to look into them and then you can consider what they have to offer. Keep thinking!
  8. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the guy again today and decided to decline. He was more interested in a guy who just wants to sub for him and thats all. I enjoy running all aspects of a business, not just the technical side. I'll just keep plugging away. I have a huge market if I want to spend the ad $ to tap it.

Thanks everyone