1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gogetter, Apr 5, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Does someone that you call in to sub a job to usually give you a lower price then they would have given the homeowner?

Jonathan E.
  2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Johnathon,
    If someone is subbing for you then pay them what you're willing to pay and make sure it's less than you are charging the customer.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

They will but you will probably have to ask for the discount, dont assume it will come automatically.
  4. mbwent

mbwent LawnSite Member

They might if they think you can give them additional opportunities in the future! If you think you can, and they do good work, tell them and suggest a discount. Or maybe they can refer you for your type of work and make it an even exchange?!
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend that owns a restaurant and a current (soon to be ex) employee of his has stated he is quitting to work as a subcontractor for a local lawncare company.

I know this guy and he doesn't have any equipment or vehicle to tow a trailer and when I asked my friend to pry a little he told me that this guy is using the LC's equipment and vehicle.

Am I wrong in my belief that a subcontractor is supposed to furnish ALL equipment,insurance, and labor for the main contractor?
    Where would a guy report violations of these rules assuming that a violation is taking place?

It seems to me this contractor is taking advantage of this kid and I'm sure this kid won't be insured.

What would you do?