1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nautiq544, Jul 7, 2006.

1. nautiq544

nautiq544 LawnSite Member

I was on one of my accounts today and I met another LCO down the street. I’m trying to pick up a few more yards in the area and we were discussing some things. He said he had 14 accounts or so he was looking to sub contract out. He just had to many to handle by himself. He offered to split the gross at the end of the month in half with me. (50%) What’s the going sub contracting rate for typical lawn maintenance work.? (Mow, edge, trim, blow) 50% seems low to me.

Also what’s a clever way to get theses accounts from him by working them off or something?
  2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your each trying to screw the other. Glad I am not trying to do business with either of you.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever hear of building your business where you have a lot of accounts and hire some one.
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

50% prob wouldn't cover costs...........build your own business, you're do'n the work and he's gett'n paid, screw that
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I would think the subcontractor should get 90% of the income. I have often thought about subcontracting to LCO's, as compared to me running down the accounts, submitting bids and bills, and I came to the conclusion that that part of the business is worth 10%. I would maybe even go to 85% if it was fairly bid, and compensated. Thanks brad
  6. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

typical markup is 10-15%, but most of our subcontracted work is done hourly. We do not do maintainance but grading and equipment work is simplier to do by the hour.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong forum but I'll answer anyhow. Tell the guy forget it and go after his clients when he starts to fall behind.Heh