1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by abuckeye, Sep 27, 2006.

1. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I had an LCO that I know call me yesterday and want me to help him with a large mowing job. He needed my wb for the smaller parking lot islands and other areas, as he does not have one. This looks like about a 12-15 hour job with both of us cutting and trimming.
    My question is;
    What is the going rate for subcontracting a job like this? Using my mower and fuel as well as my time. I am just not sure how I should charge for this if I do it.
  2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me, I would ask him what he gets for the job and want a share proportionate to the work I am completing.

I am guessing that you do not usualy bid large jobs like this. In any case you should get your going rate for work you do.
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

A subcontractor should get 67% (rounded off) of the gross...
  4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

He is working with the contractor the whole time....

What splicer means if you do all work of the property yourself, with no help from the original contract, you should get 2/3 of the gross from the account..
  5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

If you both have the same ammount of work and the same expenses I would take 40-45%. Give him a little more than half since he would be handeling the office overhead. Before you agree to anything see the signed bid or service agreement. If its not worth it, pass on it.
  6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

In this method, how would the contractor handle the federal tax? Does he count the subcontractor as an exspense? And just pay taxis on what is left.
  7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: No I don't:nono: ...I mean regardless he should get 2/3...Period...
    As for taxes...The sub would get 1099'd and the contractor pays NO taxes on him...The contractor 1099's himself...UNLESS the sub is not really a sub but an employee...Then everything changes...
  8. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I was thinking along those lines. As for the 1099 I was expecting to get that from him at the end of the year. Thanks for the help.
  9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

whats your logic behind the 2/3 gross?
  10. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I want to know....

If he is out there with the guy, each of them is using there own equipment, how do you expect to get paid MORE than the guy that originally had the accounts?