Subcontracting

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Newguy25, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the biz. and think I might have come across a way of getting some more work. Someone I know just acquired some new business and he is in way over his head with to much work to handle. He is looking for a way to handle it all. I am thinking about subcontracting for him. What is the best and proper way to do this since I have never done it before? Please help. Thanks

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

For legal reasons he will need a copy of your liability and workers comp insurance or else he is at fault for you.

I work as a sub under architects, designers and soon plowing. This is different in that I am handed a design and I price it. He may want you to work 20% less so he can still turn a profit. Just work on the #'s.

3. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

Anyone else have anymore suggestions??? I need all the help I can get. Thanks

4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you do sub for him get everthing in writting.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

make sure you get the pay issue in writting.....

comming from the home builders background, they stay 2 to 3 months behind at all times,,,

6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Be sure that YOU set the price for the work you're performing, so that you can be sure you're covering expenses and making a profit. Your price is what it is, and it's his responsibility to sell the markup to the client. If you let him dictate what he's paying you, he's getting your profit and you're just turning dollars and MAYBE breaking even- if you're lucky. You need to know what you need to make, and if he can't give it to you just walk away.

Dave

7. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

There is no legal reason to show proof of insurance,,,it is the moral thing to do.
    For his own liability reasons he should ask for proof of insurance.
    If he subcontracts you, technically you don't need ins since he is responsible.
    however that would really make you more of an employee.
    Doing what is right, legal, and responsible are 3 different things
    That is why my WC also covers subcontractors that cancel their WC,,,,,