subcontracting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeff L., May 11, 2003.

1. Jeff L.

Jeff L. LawnSite Member

My question is I have a very good friend in the lawn service also, he has a much bigger operation than I do. I am trying to build mine up and slowly but surely it is doing just that. Anyways the question is he wants me to work with him a couple days a week with my own truck and equipment to get his big accounts done. He says he would pay me $20 an hour, to me that sounds incredibly low because I'm paying for the gas, wear and tear etc. so it's really not twenty an hour, BUT I need the money and the work until mine reaches the point where I'm doing my own accounts full time. He is one of my best friends but unsure of how to approach this. I don't want to lose the chance to earn the extra money but I don't want to do a big job for 2 hours get 40 bucks and he gets 150, I don't feel right about that. His bigger accounts are $120-200 a cut, he also just got news that he now is getting the cities dump, A HUGE ACCOUNT so please help me out here guys!!

2. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

JEFF L.,
    THIS CAN GO EITHER WAY. ITS YOUR PREFERENCE. IF YOU NEED THE WORK AND FIND IT PROFITABLE, THEN ITS A NO BRAINER.
    ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE BETTER OFF BUILDING YOUR OWN BUSINESS DURING THOSE HOURS THEN LET THE WORK PASS, BUT GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE FOR YOURSELF. DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT HE IS MAKING ON THE JOB. IF YOU WORK FOR HIM, THEN ITS HOURLY PAY. IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY FOR YOUR TIME AND EQUIPMENT, ASK FOR A PERCENTAGE (IF HE IS WILLING TO TELL YOU ACTUAL PRICES OF THE JOBS). YOU WONT GET RICH WORKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE. HOPE THIS HELPS
    LA LAWNS

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I would not do it.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Will the work load and equipment used be an equal split on these jobs? If so you need to get 1/2 or there about.

But you have to consider he already has this account as his contact and that is worth something extra for him.

Might explain how you feel and ask for a 60/40 split.....60 going to him.

Or offer him this: You work with him with HIS stuff and you get paid the $20 an hour.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you figure your hourly costs and profit margin desired, at $20 a billable hour? Is that what your customers get charged at a rate of? If so, then work for him at that rate. If not, you will be running your equipment into the ground and working for free at his gain.

6. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i would do it as long as it dosen't mess up anything that ur trying to do i am doing something along the same lines and it's not that bad it's enough to get me by till mystuff starts coming through i'm just not using any of my equipment

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd spend that time instead getting some darn customers! At $20/hour you'd be making roughly half what your time was worth on your own. So if he wants 20 hours out of you a week, you could work 10 for yourself and make the same amount of money, even charging pretty low prices. That's not that much work to go out and get.

Every hour you spend mowing his lawns is one hour's delay until you can get your operation up to speed. Take the short term income hit and in a couple of weeks you should have enough business.

Then again, if you're really new, you might could use the experience.