Subcontracting

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by PAPlow, Dec 31, 2000.

1. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post to this site. I was told about it from a friend of mine. Good wealth of information here!

My question is about what you should pay any subs you may have for snowplowing. I realize there are differant methods you guys have for bidding on jobs. I am interested though on if you hire subs for your jobs and what you would pay them. I plow in the southeastern PA area.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Rick-

2. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

In the Cincinnati area I get 55.00 per hour with a 9ft blade no salting with my own insurance 1 mil coverage

3. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

Okay...I have another question. Do you guys who sub have a minimum time clause for each snowplow job? Another words do you request that you get at least a certain amount of time for each job...If so what?

4. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

You know I have thought of that but have never approached the main contractor about it. I doubt he would go for it I will try it next season.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay our sub contracters $70.00 per hour on residential and $80.00 on commercial. We do not sub out sanding we do that ourselves.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

PaPlow,

I'm pretty close here to your market (Delaware County). I know the going rate around here is $55-$65 an hr for a p/u with a straight blade (7.5-8.5). Where is the bulk of your work. I'm doing all res. on the main line. (Radnor, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Haverford, ect)

Mark

7. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

Mark,

Majority of my work is in the central montgomery county areas (Norristown, Blue Bell, Trooper, Collegeville) I also am a sub for a large contractor and plow for them in the Malvern area...right now. I am looking in to getting my own commercial jobs next year. Interested in plowing for me if I do?

Rick-PAPlow

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Rick,

Kinda have a full plate at the present time. I got 20 drives mostly on the main line with alot of walk work. Last snow was the first time I did my whole route, twice as a matter a fact. Had my son & my nephew with me manning the shovels & blowers & spreader. Alot of these require "0" tolerance and pay for it. I'm alittle spread out but it's my first year and I'll be looking to concentrate my route next year , if I don't get fed up with the res. I made some good coin last event, but we also busted our hump. Can't wait for the next event. Did not have one complaint. That's pretty good for the type of market I'm dealing with (main liners). I'm sure after we do these a few times, things will go alittle smoother(quicker). We could definetly trade numbers for back up. I got a few guys I do this with & for. Can't hurt, you never know.

Mark

9. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

Mark,

I was considering you for next season. I understand if you can't. I will email you my phone number just in case we can help each other out in some way.

Rick-PAPlow

10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have two subs that we use. One is my Dad who we pay $35 per hour (he has his own insurance) and the other is a summer employee with his own truck (I pay his insurance). The summer employee we pay $50 per hour assuming that his $50 per hour is less than 80% of the work that he performed. If he worked 10 hours ($500) he would have to have done $625 worth of work. This probably would not work with all subs but it works for me. My dad works cheap just because he likes to spend time with his boys.