Subing Fertilizer out ???

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by **JW'S LAWNCARE**, Mar 3, 2005.

1. **JW'S LAWNCARE**

**JW'S LAWNCARE** LawnSite Member
    from Akron

I just don't want to deal with fertilizer anymore.

I have a lot of guys in my area that are strictly fertilizer apps.

What do you work out when sub work to a fertilizer guy. do you mostly work with one guy and send all your work to him, and what does he give you in return???

Thanks

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I only do applications. The guys that sub-contract me, only use me.
    What I give in return is a quality service, a happier customer for you, and less headaches with the DEC etc.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

If you sub out the lawn care you should make 10% for yourself! If you handle all billing it makes it much easier.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub all my fert customers to a single company. They give me price breaks which i keep and they also give me their residential maintenance leeds. I give them a super dense route and quality clients. its a win-win

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

years ago, before i did ferts, i subbed it out to a big chain compny. i got humped

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

bobby

That's why you don't use the big boys. They are about sales, not results.

Find someone local that will give a quantity discount. And work with you and your customers. Perhaps someone you have a previous relationship with. That is how I have gotten most of the landscapers that currently are using my services.

I recommend my contractors for lawn cutting and landscaping depending on where the account is and who has the closest accounts etc.

And most of my guys usually make more than 10% depending on how they have sold the program originally. I don't adjust my prices based on what price they are getting. IF my prices work great, if not then they don't.

7. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Yes, you can sub it out. Make sure you have a signed agreement BEFORE they do any work and have their insurance info in your office. Also a non-compete would be nice.

8. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

kipcom

Can you show us a sample agreement?
    Why a non-compete?
    I feel they are for better employer/employee understandings.
    I do fert only and have no interest in being a prisoner to the weather.
    If a landscaper asks me for a non-compete, I think I'd be more suspicious of him.
    What's to stop him from deciding to go in-house and then I lose?

Just a thought.
    I have great relationships with the guys I work with.

9. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Bob, Good thinking, btw remember the day when you fell asleep on the train, and you where gonna call someone back? :waving:

10. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

NS,

Well, well!
    Welcome home NS!
    I thought you died and went to Lesco Hades!
    Sorry I missed you just now, I was napping!