Subliminal Bitmap Images

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Critical Care, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This was weird, weird, weird!

The other day I posted a small BMP image and noticed something very unusual that happened. While uploading this image, or immediately after, the actual image displayed was of something else. It looked like a sales receipt, and I immediately began to wonder if I had uploaded something else by mistake. However, just when I was about to double check my file, the image changed over correctly. Strange, to say the least.

FWIW, this was the first BMP file that I've uploaded, as far as I can remember. The JPG format blurred some of the writing too much.

2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Jpegs have an unlimited numebr of colors, therefore if you change their format in 'paint' they blur.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah, that "sales receipt" image that I saw was from the post just prior to the one where I submitted the bitmap. Without fully understanding why that image would show up where mine was, I can only assume that perhaps it has to do with refreshing webpages, and Internet settings... maybe. Why it hasn't done this with JPEG files who knows. But at any rate, nothing to worry about.

Nmez21, you've made me think a bit with your explanation, but what you say does make sense.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Actually, the real difference comes from the differences between vector based graphics and rasterized images,set pixel definitions vs mathmatical point plotting. Nothing has unlimited colors. Colors displayed and resolution is determined by the video card and monitor(and borwser when viewing web images) of the viewer. Advanced graphics programs, like photoshop or illustrator have web safe pallets and color charts, but even when working the full pantone spectrum, it's not unlimited. But this is a lawn site, so do we really care? :confused: lol