Submersible MR-16 that stays dry

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Dec 2, 2006.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

Anyone have success with any one particular brand and model # of MR-16 submersible fixture that consistently stays dry inside the lamp compartment over time? Can be brass, bronze, composite or stainless. Vista's composite does a pretty good job but it's pretty darn big. Any others a bit smaller. Must have weighted base and be adjustable. Thanks

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I don't advise going with an underwater MR-16. Every underwater fixture is horribly subject to constant conditions of 100% humidity (if not outright leaking). MR-16 sockets are too vulnerable to moisture damage - PAR-36's are the way to go. Or, better yet, illuminate water features and their surroundings from outside the water.

3. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

That's all well and good but the only PAR-36 lamp that is worth a darn for landscape lighting is the GE or Sylvania manufactured 35/36 watt halogen which is sometimes too powerful for the desired effect. I have experimented with the lower wattage GE halogen replacement for the 4414 and have not been impressed. That leaves incandescant PAR-36 lamps which have questionable lamp life and undesirable color rendering capabilities. Vista's underwater composite stays dry it's just too big. thanks for your opinion. Anything else a bit smaller?

4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

5. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

I know you probably wouldn't have anything to do with the wrightliter/vemeerliter

Mike, we've got several of them that have performed exceptionally well under water for the past 3-5yrs. 0 problems... also have some vemmerliters in commercial location at bottom of water wall be hit with steady stream of water 24/7...0 problems.

6. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

I am very familiar with Nightscaping's brass master series of fixtures. It's been awhile since I've used them but I have a boat load in the field that I service on a regular basis. It's a solid line. The monetliter is my invention. I had them take the body of the O'keefeliter put a flat lens cover on it and use an altered version of the masterliters gimbal ring. Then they removed the stem mount and bolted a flat piece of brass on the bottom with a rubber gasket and two escape holes for the wires. Great fixture if I don't say so myself.:)
    I too have used the wrightliter underwater with mixed results. About 50% remain watertight the other 50% have had leakage no matter where I place the silicone. Thanks for the recommendation Chris.

7. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

The Kichler 15191 is a VERY reliable underwater light, but it is as big or bigger than the Vista (I haven't used the Vista to know)

8. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike.

Altho im not crazy about the line Corona lighting makes a small Stainless or brass underwater mr16. We tested one unit and its still dry to date altho I did have to make a base for it as it came with a stake (dont know whats up with this) but it did perform as it should.