1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

submersible & timer box

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Dec 13, 2007.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I have a 3HP sub that I think has a bad timer box. I want to replace it with a newer digital box. I can find all the wires going to the valves and what I think turns on the pump but I'm not sure how the contactor and relay for the pump is supposed to work. There's an on/off switch on the panel and when I turn it on, I can see the contacts in the relay make/break but I'm not sure which wires power the coil for the contactor. I can press the white button on the contactor and the pump runs and I measure 8 amps on each of the 3 phases.

2. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

Wow I haven't seen one of them in a long time. We usually just replaced all that with a new starter box as we never really liked the ice cube relay setup. I may be wrong here but it looks like the little black wire coming out from behind the red blue wires and running to the ice cube relay is the power wire for the coil. Also the cube looks like it has possibly blown out replace that and it might solve your problems.
  3. wab1234

wab1234 LawnSite Member

thw wires that arent marked L1L2L3
  4. zliminator

so for all intents & purposes, I can just hook up a 3phase contactor with a 24v coil and use a 24v transformer to activate each zone to make sure there's nothing else wrong with the system before I bid on the job.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

my dad still swears by those clocks, he still has a few functioning to this day.
  6. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

You should be able to. The thing that puzzles me though is why the hell they put the cube relay in there. Usually we used that when we had more then one clock on the same well with it being pump start. Try taking the wires that are coming from your power and common wire and hooking them up to the black wires coming from behind the relay and that will tell you if the cube relay is bad of the coil is shot. Or you could replace the whole damn thing and make life really easy.
  7. An-A

An-A LawnSite Member

I instaled one of those years ago at my house 1969 I belive. When I moved out last fall it was still working great. Don't throw that pice of history away but rather sell it on ebay or give it to one of us.
  8. zliminator

FWIW: I think the gear that turns the big wheel on the front is stripped or is not turning the shaft. I will save this relic. (I wish now I still had my old PC from 1983). I think the cube relay is good, I can see it click. I think the contactor coil might be out.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't remember ever seeing an atmospheric vacuum breaker on a well outlet before.