Submitting Bids

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KMT Landscaping, Feb 28, 2005.

1. KMT Landscaping

KMT Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I have been in the landscaping business for many years. I want to try biding on commercial jobs. but i do not know how to go about do so at all. Can anyone give me some help on doing so on the process and what a bid should entail and possibly give me a sample. Thank

Kurt

2. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I have read up on the commercial stuff, usually competitive bidding and the client will provide specifications and designs; they are looking for the install contractor. A bid bond may be needed, along with a performance bond. Both are suretys that you honor your bid (bid bond) and contruction is standard quality or meets their specs (performance bond)

Bid bonds are 5% of total contract that you submit with your bid as a surety that you won't back out if they accept. The performance bond is done with bond company that is for 110% of the contract price and exist for the entire length of the install garauntee

BTW this is what I've learned in PCDI landscape design and other contractors please chime in! I'd like to see more feedback for my own studies.

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

kurt, i have never done it, but read on here a lot about it.....it requires a lot of shmoozing and leg work. you have to either go or call the maintenance person and ask them if they have any bids coming up.

many people on here get it thru a friend or a relative. think of the stores/places that you go to often....maybe if you just offer the manager your free advice, that will go a long way.

be ready to have a nice portfolio, with pictures, a small presentation incase they need to see some of your old jobs.

4. KMT Landscaping

KMT Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help. Does anyone have a sample bid that they may have submitted to a company. I wasnt sure if you charge per cut or total. How does that work and how does it work with leave clean up and if you do mulching or plowing. Thanks so much
    Kurt

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

oh, you are talking about mowing...you should have posted this in the commercial lawn care forum. ask the adminisrator to move it.

my recomendation to you....stay away from commercial mowing. theyare not loyal and they care only for the lowest bid. there is a lot more money in it, i agree.... but you can't count on them for a long time. unfortunatelly, underbidding is the easiest way to get them. sad, but true.