Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Oct 13, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How do you handle telling a customer you will be using a sub?

First, I rarely ever sub.......ever. So this is a new world to me. Now, working with another contractor I know to come in a lay sod for me so I move on to the next job, for example, I do that sometimes but truely using a sub I haven't really.

So, got a potential customer wants a nifty little patio, walkway, planting and DECK. Well, I don't build decks. I don't want to say hey, call them and when they're done give me a hollar. Yet at the same time I need an understanding with the 'deck guy' that this is my customer, not his. Also, I get the idea the customer would be like why am I going through you for a deck vs straight to the which I may lose the job because deck guy may go 'oh uh, well yes, we can do the patio too'.

I think you get what I'm trying to say. How do, you do?
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be low key and not make it an issue. I just had a new home built this year and guess how many subs came in. The gc would say well the dry wall guy will be here next week. I would just say the deck guy will be starting x day.
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as the deck guy's contract is with you, and the homeowner's contract for the deck is with you, it's a non-issue. Hopefully the deck guy is enough of a pro to get that you're the client. Who's responsible for the permits?
  4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I sub a guy that works for the "deck company". No real compete issue.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Papercutter hit the nail on the head. Your contrct should state that you can and may use subs when needed. We rarely use subs with the exception of pool installations, and blacktop. I will flat out tell the customer and usually give them the option to deal with them direct or to go through us and just deal with one person. They normally will feel more comfortable with you handling everything unless they already have a contact in the business.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I use subs all the time. My customers have no issue with it. However, there are customers who will have issues with it. They think they can just GC the job themselves and save money. Those are not the type of customers who want. If they make a issue about subs, i'd walk.

In the initial meetings, i talk alot about 'OUR TEAM'.