1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

subs or employees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Nov 20, 2006.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I'm not looking to hire employees, but I do have a question for you pros...Why is that you hire employees by the hour and not pay them by the lawn and 1099 them as subs??? I know there is something that makes everyone hire employees and not subs...what is it???
  2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

they are using YOUR equipment

not theirs :)
  3. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I understand the equipment issue...but if a solo operation is caught in between needing an employee and staying solo, couldn't they "hire" a sub for a limited amount of time? Contract work for the spring, etc? I'm looking down the road and a little concerned about getting to that point, too much work for me to handle alone, but not enough to hire an employee. What have you guys done when you were at that point?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

That is why your first employee is the hardest:)

a Sub will show up with their own equipment, insurance, and people. You will basically hire another company to do your work. That you can 1099.

But you can hire a part time employee
  5. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

temp agency
  6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Subs are only for what it is I don't do (i.e. stump grinding, sprinkler installation, etc)

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I dont think that the 1099 sub can work with you day in and day out.
  8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You can claim your employees as 1099 subs with no recourse, but if they do not file their 1099s you'd better have turned in yours. This will simply place all the tax responsibilities on the employee.

Our insurance and worker's comp. will not cover subs though and that is enough reason for us to use W2s.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

They can if they have their own equipment and use it on your jobs. Howeverm each state has some difference regulations about this.
  10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have some teeanagers that I go to church with (18-19 years old) that I use as part time help from time to time. I pay them the full hourly rate and do not withhold any taxes for them and I will issue 1099s for them at the end of the year. I am not big enough to need them all fo the time, and I also do not have enough work (yet) to leave my job and work the business full time. So I have to pack in all fo my work into a few days a week with out limited light during the winter time.

Come spring, I hope the ringer wears out in my phone from new business calling. Then I can hire one of them full time and leave my job.