Success from Direct mail campaigns

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cpllawncare, Dec 17, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to hear from some of you that has had some succesfull direct mail campaigns over the years and what you have learned from them. I want to do my first one for this upcoming season and just want to get some feedback on how to make it successful.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I looked into direct mail a few years back, and for my business it wasnt worth the expense.

One thing you can do is get a list of reciently people who have moved into your aera and mail them a welcome card as well as leaving them fliers multibale times.

3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I did not have any luck with it at all last year.

4. JesseN

JesseN LawnSite Member

I was thinking about mailing magnets out this year and the UPS store had a decent rate on it but haven't pulled the trigger.

If any one has done something like that, I would love to talk to you about the results

5. cpllawncare

That's what I'm fighting, from what I can tell the ROI just isn't there.

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

It's my best method. I send out mailers at the start of the year to specific addresses.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cpllawncare

How many? and what is the ROI?

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Direct mail has been one of the best ROI for me. I target specific neighborhoods. High end gets custom introduction letters and middle class gets a nice flyer. I had a 10% call back rate and closed about 30% of those. Sent 1000 and got about 30 new clients this year, so 3% total. Did 1500 door hangers randomly and was lucky to get 1%.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. cpllawncare

do you build your own mailing list?I could see 30 accounts per 1000 but 2-3 per thousand isn't going to cut it.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

2 per thousand would be great, but its not likley.

The cheapest way is too pass out fliers on the aeras you want to work in. I would figure 2 per 5000 might be realistic.

I once put a full page flier in a paper that goes to every house in our county and didnt get a single call. A simple add in that paper was getting me 2 accounts per year at the cost of 50$ per month.

If you have a family owned nursury in your aera, offer them a kick back for any accounts they send your way.

Another quick way is to put fliers on cars at Home Depoit on a Saturday morning when homeowneers are there.