Success or Failure

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Sep 16, 2000.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Why businesses succeed or fail? Why do some lawn companies disappear in a year and some grow to be big companies? Is there a definate key to success or failure. How did some of you "BIG DOGS" out there grow to be the companies you are now, while others fall off the face of the earth. I believe a big key to success in this business is hard work as well as a solid business plan and keeping your expenses in check. As for why people fail I am not to sure, too much overhead, too lazy, too dumb. I don't know. Tell me what you think. I know we have touched on this before but there are a lot of new members since then.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see now. Some people loose interest. Others try to go it fulltime right from the start without having enough or any startup capital. Some do a crappy job and loose customers as fast as they get them. Some people find that they don't have the time to do it part-time. Some have crappy equiptment and when the equiptment fails so does their business. There are a thousand reasons businesses (any) fail.

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I believe that it takes commitment to being the best, dedication to your customers and to yourself, love of what you do, and persistence.

When I was in the Navy, it was said that to be a success, one had to be on time, show up with the right attitude, and give one hundred percent everyday.

While I am still expanding my company, these principles have contributed to my success in business. F.Y.I. this is our first year in business and we exceeded my wildest expectations.

4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Richard is right on the 1,000 reasons as to why. First off you must understand alot of people are happy with what they make and never want to (go big). I feel that once you have raised prices and sold as many extras to the point of what your market will allow then I'ts time to go elsewhere if you wish to continue growing.
    Some people never raise prices, others never reinvest $$$ in their business by purchasing bigger and better equipment. Once you have better equipment you can get better jobs and move up the food chain. But no matter how big you are there is allways somebody bigger. They will be able to black ball you from here to next Christmas just so you can't reach the top. I'ts all a vicious cycle and I've seen both extremes. Just as long as you're happy with yourself and what you do then to hell with the world, it will still be here when you get up tomorrow.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Most people go into this biz thinking that it is easy. All you have to do is cut grazz and rake in the money. Then they are educated to the fact that is very hard to cut a volume of grass. That there is alot more work that you have to do that is not related to cutting grass. That you have to offer a variety of services to keep and get customers. That the equipment is a pain in the ass sometimes. The weather rarely cooperates. The public is sometimes a pain to work for and on and on.