Success rebuilt my first 2 cycle!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snapper, Sep 13, 2002.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you remember a while back, I asked about rebuilding an echo BP blower. Well I finally got the parts, and got it running good. I had to replace both bearings and oil seals. About an hour or two to dissasemble, and about three hours to re assemble. So now I feel pretty confident about rebuilding small 2 cycles. Now a question for you all: What age did you rebuild your first 2 cycle engine? I am 17 so I guess you could say I am starting out early.

2. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say you're on the right track. No sense in paying some fool what you can do yourself.:D

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was around 10 years old when I started rebuilding engines. My grandfather had a load of homelite trimmers that he used to have that needed rebuilding. we spent a weekend doing all the engines. Since then I have been rebuilding all my race motors in my dirt bikes and am looking to tackle a rebuild on a mustang over the winter.

4. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I messed with old rotary mowers when I was about 5 or 6, under Dad's supervision. We had replaced the points and condenser in one. Unfortunately, the mower was thrown away, along with the engine a few months later. We did a rebuild on a 7HP Briggs & Stratton when I was about 12. The engine on the rotary mower was a 3HP Briggs & Stratton. And I still tinker with engines I find, and ones I use about every week to keep them running strong.

:blob3:

5. Brandon Heltzel

Brandon Heltzel LawnSite Member

Hey guys im new to the forum. I have been rebuilding engines since I was 14 (im 15 now). I have rebuilt my Homelite 25cc engine and put a Walbro WT-343 carb, im making a new exhaust, and going to try and lighten the flywheel, balance the flywheel, port the exhaust and intake a little, stuff the crank case, advance the timing a little, and other stuff. I just got back in from working on a weedeater that I got from my neighbor. I love working on these things. If anyone knows a good area to post stuff like fixing up weedeaters, can you please tell me. Thanks

6. Brandon Heltzel

Brandon Heltzel LawnSite Member

Dang sorry guys, I just noticed this topic is was back in 2002, stupid me :-(

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, no worries. It's cool that you're interested in motors, most guys your age have no clue how an engine works, much less how to rebuild one....

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

True up to a point. I make more money in the field doing my trade than I save in the garage doing mech. work.