1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Success stories?? Fixing the impossible and diamonds in the ruff

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shopteacher, May 22, 2006.

1. shopteacher

shopteacher LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if anyone else out there gets as big a kick out of making someone else's junk run like a new engine.

I found a 15.5 ohv Briggs in a junk yard on top of a heap of mowers. I determined it had compression, and that the rear end was bad. So I figured the rear end and the engine couldn't have gone bad at the same time, so I was willling to take a chance.

Fella's, this engine runs like new!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I paid $27 bucks for it and a starter for it. It has got to be worth $200 or more, no smoke or noise. Sometimes I just start it and watch it run, then chuckle, and all is well with the world.

How about you???????????????

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on my fifth snowblower...total cost to me since 1987....$0. and i always get my driveway cleared. third walk behind mower for mowing the ditches...again 0. all have been garbage picked. a lawn care pro buddy gets mowers given to him when he gets a new account, he gives them to me for fixing his equipment. i've made a good 2 grand selling that stuff, often with nothing more than an aerosol carb rebuild...restrorob knows what im talking about. once got a troy-bilt chipper shredded that broke the crank the first time it was used. 100 bucks and a few hours later, happy camper. my latest cub cadet was dirt cheap, "it mows terrible". all 3 new blades were on upside down. ive also done this many times with car parts. a guy sold me a 350 chevy that he had receipts for over 2500 in the rebuild. only wanted 300 for it. i offered to line it out for him, it ran terrible.he just wanted it out of his truck. turns out he has used blue RTV gasket sealant on head gasket, so had almost no compression on 2,4,6, and 8. made 1600 selling the parts. yeah, i like finding stuff like this.
  3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I find push mowers that people are throwing away as junk and rebuild the carb, sharpen the blade, and change the oil and filter. Costs me 10 bucks or so. They make great housewarming gifts. Most people are happy to get a free mower that runs great when they have so much else to spend money on buying a house.

Even better, a friend found a Stihl BR400 in the median with a ziploc bag and rubber band for a gas cap. A carb rebuild and 4 years later I still use it to cut my 5 accounts.

It's amazing what some Gumout and a screwdriver can do to getting a piece of equipment running again!
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

at my local land fill they have a metal pile. in the metal pile is all the rich folks throw away motorcycles,mowers,fans,trimmers,ect. I have taken trash in and on the way out look through the metal pile and loaded up. the last time i did that one worker told me that i couldn't take anything out of the metal pile and proceeded to tell me that the employees take home stuff. he told me that he just got a motorcycle from there that runs great.
    i take anything that i can fix including vacuum sweepers. i fix them then sell them at our yearly garage sale. i suggest you look at the land fill
  5. oldrustycars

the metal in the landfill is likely taken to a scrap steel dealer, and sold for $200 a ton. thats why they dont like you taking it.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if we couldnt fix stuff -we shouldnt be in this buisness
  7. khouse

I think the employees just wanted the good stuff if you ask me. Heck you should see all the people going through peoples trash while they are throwing it off thier trucks. The employees probably could care less if the scrap pile was down a little. Scrap steel is worth 200$ per ton? That's 10$ per pound? I better get together all my steel. What is aluminum worth?
  8. oldrustycars

a ton is 2000 pounds. at 10 a pound that would be 20,000 a ton. aluminum is worth different amounts, depending on grade, where you take it, etc. but 50-75 cents a pound is average.
  9. khouse

oldrusty your right. i didn't shift my decimal. maybe if the landfill said we could rummage through the metal pile at 20 cents a pound then we all would win. take care.
  10. JFCizek II

JFCizek II LawnSite Member

I go to my county trash transfer station every saturday morning. The last three times that I have gone I have brought back at least 3 push mowers, 1 Echo SRM 1501 trimmer and 2 Stihl FS 66 Straight shaft trimmers and a Snapper 30'' rider/with a Honda 8hp motor.All any of what I brought home at the most was 1 Stihl needed a clutch rebuild kit.The other items just needed carbs cleaned , carb kits and new spark plugs