Successful Business - No personality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Earth, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

How many of us has known or dealt with a dealer / small engine shop owner who has absolutely no personality. Never gives you a smile, isn't friendly, won't deal on prices, grouchy and doesn't care if he gets your business or not and still has an extremely successful business ! Then to top it all off we try to do business with him, kiss his butt, hoping he might be nice to us or give us a deal on something or even to just get a smile out of the guy ! :dizzy: Lets hear some of your stories.

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Had one of those guy's in the past I look at this way if you don't have the respect for me giving you my business then you don't deserve it :angry:

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a place that I have to good to sometimes because is he is only one that sells tree ropes, etc. in my area. He is rude and always makes you wait a long time for him to ask you if you need help even when you are the only customer. I called him a week or so ago and ask him about some grinding wheels and he told me to call back in 15 minutes. He told me to call back in another 15 minutes when I called the second time and I decide I would take my business elsewhere. Our local dealer is great he is always nice and helpful. He asks how business is going and gives us a discount on parts and equipment. I think be nice and helpful leads to a successful business because I would rather deal with someone nice and helpful.

4. Green Earth

Come on guys there has to be some more good stories ! :D

5. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Just to let you know guys we have exactly the same problem in the UK with "unfriendly dealers". Whilst I do need an invite to his BBQ at his home, a spark of life in there and a friendly word often helps to close a deal.

I have just moved our business location and have been looking for new suppliers of equipment and service in the new area. So far I have located 2 dealers but there so "out" of it I may drive 50 miles back to my old dealer or shop on the internet instead.

Regards
    Andy

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, he's about 5'1" tall, bald, and nasty as hell. i dealt with him for one season. then i called his boss and told him, "that short mfker is ruining your business, you will never see me again, or anyone else i know. i made a promise long ago, i aint takin no crap from anybody shorter than me." the guy is rude, lacks personality, and is a plain idiot

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Its the best way , be the best in your trade charge what you want , if the customer wants to go elsewhere , thats fine .

8. Green Earth

I always try to be nice to a customer and give them a smile. I will not kiss their butt though ! It just amazes me how people with absolutely no personality have such successful businesses. This goes for more than just the lawn business. Just my .02 worth

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there was a great article in todays sunday paper about how one hotel business says the customers name. What happens is when the bell boy greets the customer at his car he asks for the customers name up front, but what the customer doesn't know is that the bell boy has a microphone on him so everybody (other employees) at the front desk and front lobby know his name when he walks in the front door. So instead of saying at the front desk, "And what is your name," they say, "Good afternoon Mr. Smith, we are so happy that you are joining up this evening."

10. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Yeah,I had a dealer who charged me $8 for a phone call to an 800 number to order
    parts.I didn't pay the 8 ,told him what he was,and bought $30,000 of equipment
    from his competitor.Took the trailer load by his business and "rubbed his nose in it"
    What a fool he was! The bitter taste of lost business lingers far longer than the
    sweet overcharge of yesteryear.