1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Successful Overseed of regrass lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfPro, Apr 4, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

How many have successfully overseeded a Perennial Ryegrass lawn with Fescue?
    The reason I ask is I have a property that was in bad shape when I took it over at the end of last season(October)well, for a quick "fix" I overseeded it with a Turf Quality Perennial Ryegrass and it has really grown in nice. Problem is I'm in the zone 7/8 border (OK/Tx) and the rye is prolly only going to last another month or so,,until it gets hot,,,maybe a lil longer since the area is irrigated,,I want to establish a nice Fescue turf,but have yet to find any info on going FROM Ryegrass TO Fescue......any thoughts? I really need to do this now,since I only have about a month to establish something.
    BTW: I thought Fescue would be nicer (over Bermuda) because it should stay green all year and I won't have to deal with that pesky/ugly "Transition" from cool season to warm season lawn.
    Thanks in advance
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be able to just go over it with a slit seeder. The rye should give good cover while the fescue gets established. Or you could aeraate and overseed.
  3. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul