1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

successful pre-qualifying liners

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jan 1, 2008.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Then you schedule the appointment to go out and meet the decision makers if and when everything checks out.
    No time to walk them through the website (5-10 minutes)?
    Then where will they and you get the time to meet (1 hr min)?
    If that's so you don't have a prospect.
  2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

When they call, they are expecting to make an appointment. They are not expecting to receive a presentation over the phone. They are calling to SCHEDULE an appointment with a qualified business person. Much in the same way someone would call to schedule an appointment with them.
  3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Chris, the first thing I ask a prospect is who referred them. I don't ask where they heard about me but who referred them. This let's them know that most of my clients are by referral even if they are cold calling me. If they are a referral, they just want to set up a consultation because they already know my work. I will inform them of my design fee just in case they don't know about that, but that has never been an issue for these prospects.

I have on occasion not charged the design fee on projects that are sold before I even get the call. I have had clients call me to say that so-and-so is going to call because they want me to do their lighting. These projects are usually a done deal.
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Ashley prequalifies with the 2k minimum we have but we find out where they live before she mentions it. Obviously if they live in an exlusive upscale community with 3 manicured acres and an 8k sq ft home your not going to be able to do much for 2k.

We often ask if they have seen so and so's house in that community and 9 times out of 10 they have.

We are going to redo our website in the comming weeks and like the basic starter photos idea. We have been playing with the ideas of a package deal for cookie cutter type homes. These are really nice starter homes and people without 10 million sq ft and 6 figure pocket books deserve nice lighting too. I love a huge project where I am given freedom to design but I really enjoy small 1 day projects as well.
  5. pshields

pshields LawnSite Member

As a non contractor I think showing lighting examples of normal homes is an excellent idea. I have looked at a lot of your web sites and my first impression is that outdoor lighting is not for me because of the types of homes shown. If you are interested in the smaller home market and have something that a homeowner can imagine their house looking like, I would think would go a long ways in helping make sales.
  6. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the comments Phil. Just so you will know, however, all of the homes on my website are single and double-wide mobile homes. It's the lighting that makes them look so dramatically different! :)
  7. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

When someone calls who is not a referral (which we get a lot because we do a lot of direct mail advertising)...we will tell them what our "average" job starts around. Never ask for a budget on cold calls because most of those people have no idea what lighting costs, and even if they do have a budget many people don't like disclosing what it is right off the bat. If they say no problem when we tell them what our projects usually start at, then this is a good prospect and we will go out to their home and meet with them..as long as the decision maker(s) are going to be there.
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one Chris. Good one.